1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kah68, Jan 18, 2016.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I am looking for a work truck that all of my employees will be driving. It will be a shop truck, run to NAPA, run to the lumber yard, run to the job site, run to Tim's run to the dump. Since I no longer do residential driveways the truck will be used to plow our own commercial property and half a dozen of our own drives. How does the 6.0L push snow? I would be ordering plow prep but is it necessary to go with 4:10 or would 3:37 be sufficient? Our commercial lot has pretty long runs (3 acres of yard) and I've always plowed with diesels.

Thanks for your help.

Kirk

2. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

The 6.0 works just fine as for gears we have 4:10 ,you will want to put weight in back to . Also I'm sure it will come with michlen ltx on it if you order a 2500 or 3500 get rid of those pcs of **** Tires they suck for plowing.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've lost traction before I've lost power.
    2015 2500 Double Cab Long Bed 6.0L 4:10 gears.

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We have 6.0s and duramax's, they both work just fine for plowing. I would definitley put weight in the back for plowing. I run about 1,000 lbs in the back of mine and plow in 2 wd 90% of the time, but you get a little more snow then we do. In my opinion the most important reason for getting a diesel is if your doing a lot of heavy towing.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

It will push the same snow as a diesel.

I plowed along side of 6.0L trucks that were equipped almost exactly the same as my Duramax's. Only difference was fuel consumption.

Put some weight in bed as said before, the tires will not stay to pavement before you run out of power.

6. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

This will be a low mile truck with little towing and plowing and driven by most of my staff. I am wanting to go 6.0 for the cost, ease of use and maintenance.

7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

As many others have said 6.0's plow well, I've never had any issues with power with mine, as mentioned prior, I run out of traction before power.

8. brasski

brasski Member

I get a new GMC 2500 every 2 years and 8'6" MVP and never had a problem moving snow. As said the stock tires suck and you do need some weight in the rear but you will be very happy with the gas. Oh and the only gears you can get from the factory with the 6.0 is the 4.10s

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the mud and snow tires that came with truck work great and i never had a problem yet

10. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

X2. if you don't need to tow 10000+ 6L works just fine!!

11. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

No I have my dedicated haulers for that work, this is just going to be a daily driver/shop/delivery/plow truck.

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Plenty of power.

Just tell your guys not to have a lead foot when driving

13. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I have two...2013 3500 & 2011 2500. Both gas and both plow great. Positively get rid of the stock rubber...it sucks. As far as weight, it will help but I have no issues without it, though the 2500 has Winterforce skins which make a huge difference.

My 3500 has 4:10's & the 2500 has I believe 3:73 gears. I plow both in tow mode & have no problems. The 3500 just shifts a bit quicker.

14. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

Love my '15 6.0 no issues.. I've had plenty of diesels in the past.. I don't miss the gelling one bit.

15. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

It was either the '14 or the '15 models where they stopped offering the 3.73 gears with the 6.0 and only installed them on the diesels.
    I have the 3.73s in my '13 and the truck plows fine, but I would have been happier with the 4.10s. There doesn't seem to be any mileage increase with the taller gears, and it kicks out of top gear at 55 on moderate hills, so there really wasn't any point to them.

16. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Are you looking at a new truck? They are only 4.10 gears. If you are going used, go with the 4.10 gears as towing capacity is cut by almost 4000lbs with the 3.73 gears. 2007-2012 3.73 were standard with 4.10 optional, 2013-2014 they made the 4.10 standard with 3.73 optional.

17. Wyosnow

Wyosnow Junior Member
    from Wyoming

6.0 with 4.10 gears has plenty of power.

18. snowpusha

snowpusha Junior Member

I have a 6.0 with 4.10 gears. To me the 4.10 gearing makes all the difference not great for fuel mileage but power is amazing.

19. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Believe me, not a whole lot of difference between 3.73 & 4.10. I have both!

20. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Member

I have a 8.1L w/ 4.10 rear plenty w/ of power. It passes everything
    but a GAS STATION.?? LOL. Approx. 2 years gas was $4.00 a gal. My truck
    has a 37 gal. gas tank, but I don' t complain w/ todays prices! :drinkup: