1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ngom12, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

I'm looking to upgrade my fleet. I want to go diesel. The only ones i can seem to afford with low milage are the 6.0L Fords. I've read, and witnessed personally ( a friend with an 03) a lot of problems with the 6.0L's. I'm just wondering what exactly goes wrong with them? and looking at a proactive approach, what steps could i take to make the engine better. Thanks for the help!

2. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

theres another thread on the same subject, pretty much, the ford gold coolant gets heated by the EGR and gums up the oil cooler, so the EGR cooler gets heated and ruptures, which can also take out headgaskets, if you use syn oil, fuel additive, and ONLY racor/motorcraft oil and fuel filters your injectors will stay happy, and make sure the batteries and alternator are allways putting out power and the FICM will stay happy. get an oasis from the dealer to see if the truck was a problem child.

best bet are to get a scanguage 2, moniter EOT, ECT, volts and FICM, flush the cooling system with restore and restore plus, refill with distilled water and CAT ELC, spin on a coolant filter, replace oil cooler if needed, possibly delete the EGR and you shouldnt have any issues

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work for a nation wide ambulance company that has a bunch of the 6.0's. Personally I would really think long and hard if you want one. I talk to our head mechanic all the time. After hearing what I do with my vehicles and repairs I make. He knows I am far from a rookie when it comes to wrenching. We have had so many problems with the 6.0. EGR's, Head Gasket / bolts, Injectors and a need for full engine rebuild's. A full injector replacement at Ford can run you $5,000!
    I love the engine. I could go on and on about it. When it's running good you can't beat it. It's a drivers engine / trans combo that's sweet! It just has too many problems the owner should not have to fix! I would buy a V10. Might cost you in fuel. But at least it's in service when need it.

4. mustangman02232

your not going to just put fuel in a 6.0 and drive it till the truck rots apart like a 7.3, you need to do proper maintence to it, they can get expensive if you have some "mechanic" that starts to throw parts at them.

after owning both a 7.3 and a 6.0 i will never go back to the lack of power and lack of fuel economy in a 7.3 that my 6.0 gets

5. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

Damn. im not sure what to do. I have until next year to make up my mind. Like i said earlier, i witnessed my buddies 03 pretty much sit idle for a whole year because of engine problems. I do a great job with up keep on my vehicles, and i am no mechanic by any means, but its sounds like a lot of work to do just to make it run how it should. I will keep doing some research and go from there. Thanks for all the help!

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

How do the injectors know which filter you are using?

To make a statement that if you follow your exact recommendations is pretty gutsy, especially on a 6.0.

Keep looking and you'll find a 7.3 that you will love. I did.

(Insert comment about how I didn't maintain my 6.0's and this is the cause of all my problems here)

7. mustangman02232

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Qxec77uIs racor, motorcraft, or international
    your right i did find an 02 7.3 back in 09 when i baught my truck, same cab/box, price was 16.5k with 125k on it, i baught my 04 with 40k for 18.5k with the plow.... truck has been tuned since 45k, has 94k now

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

doesnt take much to have a reliable 6.0 just swap the coolant doing the proper flush. Add a coolant filter, fuel regulator, banjo bolts, STC fitting and egr delete or bulletproof egr design. arp studs arnt always needed.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have 2 crews that drove the last 6.0 I was assigned to.We drove it like we stole it ! The engine still had injector and EGR PROBLEMS. Then it threw a cam foller pin that toasted the rest of the engine. They had to have a complete rebuild done. I have never had a 7.3 have near this problem!

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Takes even less to make a 7.3, Cummins or D-Max reliable. As in nothing that you stated.

Just look at the list you gave, but your first comment says "doesn't take much". You're kidding yourself.

11. mustangman02232

Every one of those trucks have their own set of issues. My oil cooler and egr delete were cheaper then a trams rebuild on any of the above. The early dmaxs had injector issues, and don't even think of putting a tune behind that Allison if you don't have the money for a rebuild. 7.3 still have some injector issues, hpop glow plugs, and the wonderful E4OD. Cummins you need to buy a dodge....that in itself is enough to stay clear

I have less then a grand in my truck, it's done everything I've asked it to.
    However, if ford had went with a CAT motor I believe they would own the one ton market because well real diesels are yellow:)

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never replaced an injector in a 7.3, I own 4. 2 have been from new, around 270K between those 2. The other has had around 40K put on by me and no injectors previous to that. It did have a turbo replaced. I just picked up my last one, runs strong. 63K on that one, a '99 and nothing touched on that one.

Yes, the oil pans rust out. Granted. But that is something that can be planned, not a FICM or STC or turbo boot blowing off or any other sundry issues that shut a 6.0 down. I really hate those $35 glow plug relays that need replacing once in awhile. That sucks. I have had some other rust\oil leak related issues, but even my CPS have been great. I think I've had 2 replaced now.

We are talking engines, not trannies. I have had 2 turbos and at least one EGR in a 6.0. 18 injectors between my 3, and close to 250K between the 3. FICM, STC, fuel pump, short in clutch fan, 2 starters just this year.

Lost one 4R100 at 78k, another at 100K. Not too happy about 78K, but not bad. We can talk Torqshifts if you want. Lost my first one with 500 miles on it. While that one was down waiting for the national backorder to be filled, my other one grenaded with around 20K on it. Both down for 2 weeks each in January. Never lost more than a couple days with my 4R100's. Next January, my '04 grenades again. Another 2 weeks. Same problem, POS snap ring.

Ball joints have not been too bad on mine.

Yep, D-maxes had injectors in the beginning, but still using the same platform and no problems. 6.0s are mostly off the market and still having problems.

These are work trucks, who is tuning them? We're talking bone stock trucks, not ones to show off who can pee farther.

Cummins in a Dodge, yes, terrible. I have just about as much small stuff falling apart in my Fords as I did my Dodges. That's terrible compared to the thousands I've had to spend and have lost in income from a POS engine.

13. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

Well let me ask this question. If you had 15-20k to spend on a truck, any truck, what would you go with. I know this is kind of a personal preference question, but i'd love to see whaty every one says. I have always liked the fords for work trucks, my dad runs the vans at his business and they are tanks! they have all been E-350 with the 5.4, but still, he gets about 250k mi out of every one. I know thatd they aren't being used like in plowing, but thats pretty good.

I've always wanted a diesel, so if you guys had 15-20k to spend on a diesel, what would you get??

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

A Dodge or Ford 7.3.

15. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You need to answer a bunch of questions first before you get a diesel.

1.) Ultimately Do you really need a diesel
    2.) Do your think you'll actually get the use out of a diesel, or do you just want one.

I had an older diesel, and when the motor fried, I went back to a gasser. My truck sits some months, and gets over-worked on other months. The fuel savings and cost to repair/maintain wasn't going to be any better with a diesel.

That and my diesel mechanic talked me into a gasser. :eek:

16. big_stroker

big_stroker Senior Member

Stay clear of the 6 blow. I have worked on to many of them and even after EGR delete and studs they still just arent as reliable as a 7.3

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

P-shaw, whatsoever are you talking about?

18. big_stroker

No idea :rolleyes:

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Come on, next thing you know you'll be telling us that they are easy to work on.

And just think, with only a thousand dollars of work (give or take) it will be as reliable as a 7.3. Or so we're told.....

20. big_stroker

HAHA Thousand dollars. you will have more than that in studs and machine work... Thats not counting the time to pull the cab off and a good EGR delete. Oh an injectors that last 100k max IF your running a bypass filter and synthetic oil

I would love to know who will do all that work for $1000 I couldnt even do it myself for that:laughing: