1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L MPG while plwoing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by burnsyscapes1, Dec 13, 2011.

1. burnsyscapes1

burnsyscapes1 Junior Member

What do you all usally get with a 6.0L get while plwoing. it might be just me but im averaging around 8 mpg reguarly. Just trying to figure what i should expect out of my truck.

Here is my set up, 07 2500 6.0L
  2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Your about right on mpg. It will depend on how much you drive between accounts and how much snow your pushing.
  3. burnsyscapes1

i am doing it for virginia dot. So around up 15 miles round trip in between salt trips.
  4. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

I get 12.8 average city/highway without plowing. If i can get 8 while plowing I would be tickled.
  5. Lawn 'N' Order

Lawn 'N' Order Member
    from IL

Consider yourself lucky if your getting 8. I normally average around 6-8. Plowing with the 6.0s don't expect more than 8
  6. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

How are you calculating gas mileage when plowing? You spend a fair amount of time backing up and correct me if I'm wrong, but that mileage doesn't log on the odometer does it? If you're using the electronic MPG calculator that some vehicles have, does that account for backing up so much? I'm not trying to be wise, this really interests me.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My computer says I'm getting 6mph. When I take my mileage and the total gallons purchased for the season it says I got 6 mpg. So .... I spent $1600 on gas last plow season and logged 290 hrs. I let it run (gasser) when I do my walkways. Avg price was $3.67 per gal and 480 gallons (some personal use) (301 gallons in 2010). So 1.655 gallons per hour.
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I dont want to know what I get plowing
  9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

On my 08 I was getting like 11 maybe 12mpg just driving around. Like others have said I don't want to know what I was getting plowing. Not good :(

Oh and nice truck :)
  10. burnsyscapes1

yeah im scared to know too, i am getting around 8 when just driving around. just wanting to prepare for that gas bill when and if we do get snow or ice
  11. burnsyscapes1

thanks mossman!

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Like others have said its hard to figure mileage while plowing. I gauge it on fuel/hour. Lets say plow for X hours and go fill up right after do your calc X/fill up price. Everyone will be different depending on (weight, application, price/gallon). Don't expect the best numbers my 6.0s were anywhere from $7-12 an hour in fuel. Don't sweat it tho there isn't anything you can do besides get your magic number and adjust prices for next year.
  13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's not too bad really when you think about it. Say if you were driving 60 miles in an hour at 60mph, with a truck that gets 10mpg on the highway, then that's about 6 gallons of fuel at 3.45/gal, then that comes out to around 20 dollars an hour just for driving.

So to be in the $7-$10 range when plowing doesn't seem too bad.
  14. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I calculated it once plowing on my '06 and it was like 4.5mpg or something horrible. I never checked again lol
  15. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I'm with mike on this one. lucky to get 4 mpg.
  16. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Just depends how much backing up you do and idling I suppose.
  17. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't measure in MPG but In gallons per hour....
  18. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Gallons per hour same here. Was on a V-6 4.3 liter.
    up to 5 inches dry 5 gallons. For wet snow 7.5 gallons.
    5 to 9 inches dry 7.5 gallons. For wet snow 15 gallons.
    10 to 15 inches dry 10 gallons. For wet snow 20 gallons.
    15 to 20 inches dry 20 gallons. For wet snow 40 gallons.
    For 500 yards by 500 yards lot.
    Not sure on the V-8 6.0 Liter
  19. RRobbe

RRobbe Member

I have figured it a few times filling at the begining of a night and again when I was done and it came out to 4.2 and 4.5 mpg.
  20. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Snow Plow was small 6.5 footer

My plow was a very small 6.5 footer.
    Some improvements with 7.5 less passes.