1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 05 has a 6.0L and has run well since we bought it a while ago. Lately I've noticed it starting to blow blue smoke while driving, more specifically when its colder and shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. If I hammer it going down the road there is no smoke at all. I have no power loss or misfires that I can hear or feel. I've read where it could be the inner turbo seal? Or some say to check and clean the EGR valve which I'm going to do next week but that seems like a temporary fix. Any other thoughts?:mechanic:

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Do an egr delete kit, but take it to the ford dealer, those can get tricky working on those trucks.

3. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

head gasket ?

4. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Have your injectors checked that's what mine was doing and there was one that was starting to go bad. It was leaking while it was off so it would build up fuel in the cylinder then when I started it it would blow blue smoke till the motor warmed up.

5. Brian Young

This is kind of opposite. There is no smoke when I first start it then after letting warm up a bit and I start driving, thats when it starts to smoke and only at shift points.

6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

It can still be the injectors, Trying to trouble shoot that engine yourself is like throwing money in the wind.

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

How fresh is the oil?

8. Brian Young

It was changed at the dealer a few weeks ago. I believe they used 5w40 motorcraft

9. Brian Young

In fact it never did this until after the oil change.

10. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

motorcraft is 1540, I would recomend upgrading to something like rotella 540 syn or something along those lines with a bottle of REV-x and see how that does, its expensive, but it actually works, cold be sticktaion kicking in now that its getting colder out

11. Brian Young

Now that I think of it they might have used the 15-40 which I read is not what you want to use. Great 100 bucks down the drain.

12. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

if you come to a conclusion please post. I might be jumping on a 6.0l 550. reading as much as I can

13. Brian Young

Will do, I'm going to find my receipt from the dealer and see if they put down what they used. I've read a ton on these things in the last couple days. Like I said before, it didn't smoke at all til the dealer touched it. Other possible reasons may be a turbo seal (wherever they are on the thing) If it's just o rings, they're pretty cheap. I'm going to remove the EGR valve first and clean or replace if needed but waiting for new o rings for that before I take it apart, then move on. It can only be 1 of a couple things. Talking to a diesel tech on Monday where I use to work.

14. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

The 6.0 Ford Diesel is such a problem child.
    There are not enough head bolt coverage per head sealing surface -period.
    It could be the turbo, head gasket(weak torque to yield Ford bolts), and or EGR cooler....
    Either way a plan needs to be made for a new engine for such a nice truck.
    I cringe whenever I hear of what a great deal someone got on a Ford Diesel Truck...because I know it's a 6.0.
    Good luck.

15. wewille

wewille Senior Member

How are you driving when it smokes? I understand it smokes when shifting, but when under heavy load? Engine temp? ambient air temp? How many miles are on the truck? I dont see many faulty turbo seals on these trucks. If it is, turbo replacement will be necessary to fix. Remove the air intake tube and inspect the play on the turbo shaft. I forget what the spec is, some play is normal. Also inspect the vanes on the compressor wheel maake sure they look ok. No damage or anything. Also make sure air filter is ok. Is it actually blue smoke, or is it a grayish white? Oil consumption in general is not a common problem for a 6.0l. Not to say it doesnt happen, but its not often. Dont worry about the orings for your eger valve, just yank it out and see what it looks like. I rarely replace the egr valve seals.You will need a ladysfoot to extract the valve. Let me know if you have any other questions, i would be glad to walk you through this thing.

16. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

ddbmaine, take the vin number of the 550 to a ford dealer and ask service for an oasis report on whats been done for warrenty work, also get a scanguage 2 or ask the dealer to check the delta between EOT and ECT, they should be 15*

OP have you checked volts to the FICM?

i had two options, a 7.3 that was rode hard put away wet with 200k on it and rotted to hell or a 6.0 that was owned by a 55 year old guy just because he wanted a truck with 42k. i took the newer truck after doing research, the root cause is actually the ford gold coolant braking down and plugging the oil cooler, when that happens its only a matter of time before you have issues. you need something like a scan guage 2 to moniter EOT ECT and FICM volts i did replace my clogged oil cooler before my EGR went (which i deleted) and thats about it oil and filters every 5k/10k, put some cat EC1 coolant in it with a filter and shes good to go. and im running a 150 HP tune for the last 50k. also 06 and 07 have had the least warrenty claims of any year PSD 94.5-12

coolant filter after 300 miles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Brian Young

Thank you! To answer a few of your questions...It's not hard starts, just normal from a stop sign but it only smokes right before it shift's into 2nd and 3rd gear, no load at all except for an empty poly V box, engine temp. is normal (the needle is just below half way on the gage) and it's been in the high 30's - low 40's and there is 87k on it now. I have noticed the turbo isn't as loud as it was when I first got it but that might be me getting used to it. Plus no loss of power at all.

18. Brian Young

I have not checked the voltage yet. There is no starting or drivability issues other than the smoke.

19. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Why not do an EGR delete kit? Everyone says that the 6.0L motors need it. I've got it done on my 06 and am at 140k.

20. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Mustangman. Did you do the writeup on fpsd forum? Theres alot of write ups about the coolant being the issue, then oil cooler then egr cooler.
    The dealer the truck is at, is the dealer who has maintained it. So yes on the oasis and absolutely on the delta. I was contemplating getting an edge insight prior, but if they can pull from the comp then thats even better.
    I dont want to hijack, I'll try and find a thread to move to, If you have good knowledge on this I have a few questions. I'll link to it later. Things to do.