1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0l Hybrid

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by millsaps118, Feb 15, 2008.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

6.0 hybrid 2500HD's, scheduled to be released fall of '08. Has this caught anyone else's attention besides mine? I already made up my mind, I'm getting one. Even though this will be its first year out and no one really knows what to expect or what kind of bugs need to be worked out, I'll take my chances. If it ends up being a POS, I'll trade it in on another gasser or a diesel.

Anyone else considering going gas/electric?

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

screw that. buy the diesel. you buy a hybrid truck and your gonna loose your man card. lol. unless its a toyota

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I would never buy a hybrid car let alone a hybrid truck. They are so expensive to maintain it would be cheaper to get another gas guzzler. I read a magazine article a couple years ago about how its actually cheaper to own a hummer from life to death than it is to own a hybrid car... and by quite a bit. I wish i still had a copy of this magazine to show you all. Jmo but diesel is the future not hybrid.

4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

seriously. i own a duramax. and i can get 18MPG with it. so why would i spend another 4 grand ontop of what a duramax upgrade is.

plus they only off the thing in the crew cab LT models. so your looking at a $55K truck. for what another 3MPG. it only gets like 20-21 MPG. plus id rather have a truck that can actually tow. the towing capacity gets absolutly killed by the hybrid. they say it can only tow 6100lbs. **** if i could only tow 6100lbs i would be screwed. the lightest trailer i pull is almost 8000lbs. idk what to know how slow it would move with that much wieght. dam the 6.0L would have enouph trouble towing that. let alone a hybrid with a weaker 6.0L.

its a show truck not a work truck. and the hybrid is useless in the winter with a plow on a truck. you would be using all gas b/c it would be too much stress for the hybrid to move on its own. its pointless. i just read online that it only get 500 miles per tank of gas with the 26 gallon tank it has. and you dont even get the 34 gallon tank option.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

These trucks are supposed to get better fuel mileage than a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry with a 5 speed manual tranny.

Sounds great for daily driving, I'd tend to agree that for plowing it would be all gas... and what would you do if it broke down in the middle of the night?

It would probably be ok if it would switch to electric between jobs and back to gas to actually work... then electric for all other lighter duty daily chores.

Sounds pricey, for a work truck I think I'd stick to the Duramax.

6. millsaps118

Here's how I understand how this motor works. At speeds less than 30mph it runs on electric, from 30 + until cruising speed it switches to gas and once your at a steady speed it goes back to electric and works in conjunction with the AFM (active fuel management) shutting down 4 cyl. At breaking or deceleration it converts back to electric.

I would mostly use this truck as a daily driver, pull my boat, and to pull a lawn trailer with a GVW of less than 4500lbs. I wouldn't intend to use it to plow but would still get a mount put on it to use as back up.

Diesels are great if you keep 'em for at least 5 years and clock over 150K. Then they start to pay for themselves.

PROS
    A Hybrid will get just as good as MPG if not a little more -vs- diesel
    Fuel cost will be less
    Better resale value
    Cleaner emissions (this could go both ways -vs- diesel)

CONS
    Less towing capacity
    Initial purchase price (fuel savings could off set this)
    ?????? feel free to add your .02 these are just some that I could think of off the top of my head.

7. millsaps118

Good point derekbroerse...but what would you do if your gasser or dizzle broke down in the middle of the night? Depending on the problem we all would have to wait for the dealerships or repair shops to open.

8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck! Oh yea, the batteries are 5 grand when the time comes to replace them.

9. derekbroerse

Maybe so, but hybrid parts may be a lot harder to come by (and more expensive once the warrenty is gone) so it may be more than just waiting until the next day--maybe the next week, or month.

Resale higher than a diesel? I'd tend to doubt that, especially once they get to be older than two years or so, but when battery life starts to become more questionable they will have little to no resale value. When they are under two years, maybe, but your target sale audience will be much smaller. I forsee used hybrids being really hard to sell.

How long are these batteries supposed to live for, anyways? Does anyone know?

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i have heard 150K . and when you have to replace them they are VERY expensive. there goes all the saved gas money and then some.

11. derekbroerse

So the resale on them will be very low approaching those kinds of miles.... because no one will want the $5k expense of changing them.

Then you'll have guys in business buying them up, scrapping the batteries and such and converting them into regular gassers for profit...

12. millsaps118

Some pretty good CONS have been pointed out so far. I never thought about battery life and replacement cost. But with the push for electric powered vehicles the technology for batteries keeps getting better and better, so in return this should drive the price down. If they have a life expectancy of 150K, that's about 6 yrs (25K/yr) from now. I think the price to replace would go down significantly.

I think right now it's hard to say what the costs would actually be to replace a battery cell since this hybrid thing is so new. Right now, yeah I could see it costing 5K to get a cell replaced, but if your driving a gas/elec powered vehicle right now and need a new battery cell, chances are likely your warranty covers it.

I even read GM has plans to convert the Dmax to a 2 stage Hybrid some time down the road.

Lets here some more opinions. This could turn into a good debate. Personally I like the idea of alternative fuels/power, if they could make a full size, light duty pick up more economical with little sacrifice in performance who wouldn't want that?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008