1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L gas mileage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gino, Mar 27, 2006.

1. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I have a 2005 2500hd with the 6.0L and the 4:10 axle. I read on this site all the time that people are getting around 12 mpg city driving. My truck now has 10,800 miles on it and I can honestly say that I almost never get that for mileage. Since it was new I have averaged between 9-11 mpg in the city driving normal with no fast starts etc. I have even seen it as low as 8 mpg with no load!! I check my mileage every week, I need to stop doing that. My question is, is something not right here? Is everyone exaggerating about 12-15 mpg in the city or what? Does anybody think I should have the truck looked at or would that just be a waste of my time? Any advise would be appreciated.
  2. I get the same as you do, and i have 17000 miles now. One thing is...do you have oversized tires at ALL????? That is what screwed mine!
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Got 13 on the highway with 2 dirtbikes last weekend! Woohoo! Best I have ever gotten. This truck sucks gas. I just wish my Cummins powered dually wasn't in the shop or I would have gotten close to 20mpg. Oh well, I wanted to go racing. I look at it like this, do you want power or fuel economy? Doesn't seem like you are going to see both unless you go diesel. Our 2500HD usually doesn't see only 5-10k miles per year. Hard to justify a $6k option if you don't put the miles on. Especially with diesel prices up, I can't see having all diesels unless they see 20-30k miles per year or more. The 6.0 is what it is. It does what we ask of it, and drinks gas in the process.
  4. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the input!
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 74K on mine with a consistant 11 mpg evey week.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Best I have gotten was 13.6, mostly highway. Worst was 7.89, all trips under 5 miles and bitter cold temps not allowing the truck to reach proper temps. Both of these test are with winter blend. Can't wait for the summer blend to come!!!!
  7. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Towing...maybe 8-10, around town, 12. Highway travel, running super, computer set to super, Ive gotton 15-16mpg.
  8. Same here!

I get the same as you guys, but I didn't buy it for the gas mileage!!
  9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

its a truck, why worry about the mileage? did someone expect it to get the same mileage as an accord. lol.. just messin with ya, i just find it funny when people buy these trucks with nice big motors and then complain about mileage.

But hey, i will admit it does suck spending $75 at the pump every 2 or 3 days, i guess i shoulda got a diesel so I could be spending $85 every week instead of 75 every few days. I really need a diesel because I havent even owned my truck for a year and I already put over 30,000 miles on her!!! arghh.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

You should have got a 8.1, 10-11 town 12-14 hwy, and it's got POWER. Only mod westers tune.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

12-18 Mpg's
  12. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

What does "computer set to super" mean???
  13. jglandscaping

two settings on the computer, 87octane and 93 octane. Over the past 2 weeks Ive been running it without the computer upgrade on the truck (upload it from a little handheld computer to change) and I uploaded the 93 octane setting today (also put 93 octane in it) and OH BOY:yow!: :redbounce wesport ....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
  14. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

So I take it you really like the hypertec? I am thinking about getting the wait4me tune. Seems a lot cheaper at $158 and gets the same results.
  15. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I always run 93 in it and I dont have any such mod. Should I just be using 87?
  16. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i got a 05 HD with the same motor and rearend i get 9.9 city 14 highway :mad:
  17. jglandscaping

You should get a little better milage w/ the 93 but it doesnt matter to much, it does keep the fuel rails a little cleaner though. I only run it on occasion, other than that, 87 is the octane of choice because its cheaper and when you tow 6 days a week, well, you are not going to get the best mileage anyways.
  18. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

When I Had my 04 I avaeraged 11 City with no load, 14 HWY No load and pulling my 16' Landscape trailer loaded with cutting equip. i got 8 if i was lucky.

19. Power Increases

If your looking for the best power increases out of the 6.0 you should get the bullydog powerpup. It triples the horsepower increase of the hypertech!