1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kollerman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Guys,

I am not a Ford guy normally, but a friend of mine has a 2004 F250 crew cab shortbox with the 6.0L diesel in it. He has 110,000 miles on it and is looking to upgrade to a new truck. He said he would sell it to me for a really good price. I checked KBB.com and NADA guides and the price is well below either book value.

My only question is, I have read a lot of talk about the 6.0L diesels not holding up well or performing well at all. What years do I have to be worried about? Is 2004 one of those years where people have been experiencing many issues?

Thanks.

Jeremy

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

All years will have the same problems regardless of what you hear. Everything you've read is true. I assume by 110k though, he has probably had some issues fixed. Some issues usually won't happen to trucks that aren't tuned, especially HG's. EGR coolers are common, and unless you eliminate it, you can count on it going sometime. There's a lot of FICM issues, etc. I just did a FICM on my 04 at roughly 220k and a turbo at roughly 215k. I'm now getting a lot of smoke at start up again and suspect an injector or 2......I currently have 232k. My buddie just had a HPOP done at 140k on his in the tune of $4k.

They're great trucks when they're on their game. Just be prepared if something does happen. I send mine on 1k mile round trips and will plow for days in a row and don't think anything of it........but I won't be surprised IF something does happen.

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

03 and 04 were the worst years. But the 6.ol is one hell of a motor... Ask him if he has anything replaced that was warrantied.