1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L and Plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dmjr77, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

How does the 6.0L V8 found in the 2500's and 2500HD's plow compared to the old 5.7L V8? I am looking at a few trucks with the 6.0L and I refuse to plow with a Allison transmission since a couple of my freinds had them and they got rid of them.

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

ive only plowed with my truck once (i mainly plow with my dump)....all my guys say is a beast....more power then any P/U that they have ever used....

sorry i cant really add more but i have only had it for 4 months, but what i have seen i really like.....got sick of dodges and there $1200 fixes every 2 months

3. caz41

caz41 Member

I have the 6 liter in a 99 and it is very well suited for plowing. It has plenty of snort. A friend has the 5.7 in his truck and mine has plenty more power than he does. I don't have the spec's as far as hp and torque off hand, but would imagine that it would vary depending on what year you are looking at. Hope this helps.

4. gottabirdog

gottabirdog Junior Member

The newest 5.7 L that I've owned was a '94. My '04 6L has lot's more power and also uses much more gas! Like that 6L!

5. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

I run a 04 3500 with the 6.0 (Dual wheel). Has a 8' mason dump body and a blizzard 810. Has plenty of power! I pull a skidsteer around without any significant stress on the motor.
    Dave

6. The 6.0 is a beast and I'm very happy with mine.
    FYI, be ready to pay at the gas pump as the 6.0 is not friendly on fuel.
    Also, if you are looking at late model trucks, be sure you get one with the snow plow prep package or you will void any remaining warranty. If you get one with SPP you will probably end up with 4.10 rear end gears, again, great for snowplowing but bad on gas!

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't hesitate to get a 6.0 powered plow truck.

While I never owned a "late-model" 5.7, I have ridden in quite a few. The 5.7's may have had a smidge more low end, but the 6.0 blows it away everywhere else. I'm happier with my 6.0 than I was with my 454!

The 454 had tons of low end snap (often times TOO much) but the fun ended by the time you got to 3K rpm. With the 6.0, the fun just starts at 3K and it'll take you right to 6K and pull hard all the way there.

With the 4.10 gears and T/H mode, this combination works very well up to it's rated towing/hauling capacities.

8. mickman

mickman Senior Member

we have 2 2500hd's with 6.0 and they have plenty of power and they will eat up some petro [ what gasser doesn't ] We average about 200 miles a tank
    when plowing [ our powerstroker isn't much better ]

I am thinking of adding super-chips to them. Has anyone else added chips,
    & do they make any difference, or are they a waist of coin?

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt hesitate to run a 6.0

I wouldnt drop money on just a chip for a gasser

IMO the allison is the best plowing trans and best trans available in a PU truck. There are only a few problems, all of witch are or were well known and easily fixed(and 99.9% of the time under warantee). Some converter had problems with the tabs cracking. Issue has been fixed. The lower bolts holding the bellhousing onto the case wernt properly sealed from the factory, the issue has been fixed. If you do it, a dab of RTV on the bolts or the factory washer+the cost of a transfercase gasket, fluid and the time to pull the trans back from the motor. The NSBU switch is junk. If it dies there is a TSB and covered for 100k IIRC that replaces it with an updated switch from allison. Switch is held on with 2 bolts and a nut, 50$ part from allison and a job you could do on your back with a 13m(IIRC) and a 15m(IIRC) socket on your back in a few minutes in the field. Your truck will still drive but especially if you change it in a parking lot you will still be a pissed of MF.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I have had several 5.7 powered GMs....Towed, plowed and hauled with little effort. All pretty good on gas.

I have/had 2 6.0s.and they are brutes doing the same work.
    Yea, they eat more gas but have more low end torque. But a 5.3 or 350
    will kick their butt off the line and down the 1/4 mile !

Your right about avoiding the the Allie trans. or even the diesel.
    I read TOO many horror stories on the GM truck web sites I visit........
    $500 injectors (not covered under warranty BS) on the Duras. Plus a host
    of complaints on the Allies.............

And not to leave troublesome ford and mopar diesels out either.............

What kills me tho. is those fellas own DRIVEWAY QUEENS and cry about
    problems......Major OR minor !
    Its not like they are whipping the dog tar outta them plowing or heavy towing!

For me...A sturdy, troublefree, HARDWORKING rig is all I ask for. As long as it visits only the gas pump and not the repair bay !!!!!!!!! :drinkup:

11. ratlover

from IL

What are these host of complaints on the allison?

Injectors are well over 500$ to replace if you have to foot the bill but there is a 200k warantee on the injectors ;)

I own a Duramax but I plow real easy and I also drive like a lil old lady in general :rolleyes: :D

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You can thank GM's Torque management team for that! From what I hear, a tuned ECM will REALLY wake up the 6.0 in the HD's....especially one that removes all torque management.

13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Wester's Garage PCM Program can eliminate TM, supposedly it's the cream of the crop of PCM mods, completly custom to your application :nod:

Next in line after the intake gets bolted on my 5.3 payup

14. sonjaab

GUYS...All I can say is take a trip over to edmunds.com, gm-trucks.com, or pickup truck .com.

Many guys beefing about injector problems. Some got a free extended warranty and repairs some got the shaft job or paid $500x 8 for new ones.
    Most just dumped them......

The Allie problems are numerious. Heck check the Chevy forums here.

Wanna laugh? 2 fellas over at Edmunds swapped their troublesome 01/02 dura/allies and bought those nissan titans..........LOL !
    Stop over there in the forums and read the silverado/sierra owners threads.
    I have been a member there since 1999.............

Westers tune?.....Stop over to GM-trucks.com before you buy one of those.
    Quite a few fellas beefing about no after purchase support and poor running trucks. Another problem with Westers is you have to send them your trucks computer FIRST. Then they re program it and send it back...........
    YEA.............2 week turnaround with NO truck...............

If I wanted a tuner. I would buy a hypertech like I had on my 97.
    It was a handheld unit that plugs into the OBD 2 socket and loads the program into the stock computer. You can even program it for different tire sizes, timing,prem. or reg gas, etc.
    If I had to take it to the dealer. I would just plug it back it and reset the computer program back to stock.

IMO...and for the price a properly equipped 3/4 ton 6.0 can push plenty of snow, and heavy tow and haul with cheap maint. and a low initial cash outlay.

The diesels cost more $$$$ to buy and maintain. And if it breaks....VERY $pendy to fix..........I like my gassers !!!! :drinkup: ....geo

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

sonjaab,

While I mainly agree with your post.....I do have some altering opinions.

Very few problems with the Allison....Mostly early ones and usually the NSBU switch related. Though, I'd prefer a 4L80E for snowplowing, as the Reverse in the Allison is painfully slow.

As for the Westers programming.....You order from him an ECM tuned how you want it. You pay for IT and a core charge......It comes to your house....You install it,......make sure all is well and it runs fine......then you return your OEM ECM......and when he gets it back, you get your core charge credited to your Credit Card. There is no "Downtime".

Now, yes there have been some posts on various forums about "No Starts" and poor running, but you may want to consider the aptitude and mechanical inclination of these particular posters being partially to blame.

Hypertech is a waste of money for gas or diesel GM HD's IMO. Not much is done to the timing and fuel maps, and very little is done to the transmission. NO torque management is removed.

The only programmer worth the money right now would be the DiabloSport, as it also functions as a code reader, and you have the ability to tweak just about all parameters that Westers does.

16. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have the Alison Trans in my truck It is the best transmission I have ever owned. If there all these problem other than the older nsbu switch please post links to them as I never seen them.

17. ratlover

from IL

westers is pretty good but I still prefer Steve Cole at TTS. But I duno if he has done anything with the 6.0?

Thanks TLS, you saved me some typing LOL Except reverse is still plenty high for me ;) And I dont think you reallyt agreed with any of geo's post :p

GM has been steeping up the plate very well IMO on the injectors. its not some, if you have a problem truck you have a 200k warantee on it. Mine started to go south at 37k and they didnt even talk about charging me the 100$ deductable(over 36k up to 100k there is a 100$ deductable on the motor)

18. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I agree with ratlover and turfmower. My truck has a Duramax/Allison combo, no real problems yet. I think this powertrain combo is by far the best one available for a pickup today.

19. sonjaab

GUYS............Lots of beefs and other opinions on those Westers tunes at GM trucks. A few fellas had to send their stock PCM first........
    Others did the swap/core charge thing and waited MONTHS for their credit !
    The guys that had problems could never get a answer from Lydon? at Westers. They have ANOTHER complaint thread going over there !

I WAS interested in a tune for my 6.0. But the horror story threads and dealer warranty issues kept me happy with my stock setup...........
    I am not one to visit the service dept. except for a oil change !

The 01/02 Allie/dura combo was a hot item with the GM guys over at Edmunds and a bunch of those fellas HAD to buy them to decorate their driveways ! They all posted nothing but tails of woe..........
    Most of them didn't even WORK their rigs like WE do ! :cry:

Hopefully you guys with the newer rigs won't have problems. I hope GM
    got all the bugs worked out.........geo :drinkup:

20. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Where are the complaint threads? I was on there last night and saw one or two guys that were having issues. The way that the Westers works is you send him out your PCM, and they re-program it. So your truck will be down for a week or so. I know some guys ran into shipping issues and when you read those posts realize that Lydon does say it takes up to 60 or so miles for the truck to re-learn the mappping. This may cause some funky things to happen intially. This isn't like the handhelds that give you instant gratification.

I guess no one way is the perfect?? I just like the idea of being to reduce or eliminate TM and having a fully customized tune. No too many of the other programers can do that, safely. Also, with a Westers tune should you have to go back to the dealership Lydon's program is supposed to be untraceable by the Tech 2.

It's like the great intake debate, which is better? Which is more effective? :cool: