1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L 4L80E, what gear are you plowing in and whats your trans temp

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Dec 17, 2007.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I have a 2000 NBS gmc 2500 with a western poly pro 7.6 plow. My truck does have the factory aux trans coolers and I do have a shift kit in the trans, however I don't have the trans temp gauge. Just wondering if anyone out there has the same combination as me with the trans temp gauge that can tell me what temps they are usually running? What I want to know is, is it better to plow in OD or 3 or 1 with tow/shift on or off or what? What have you guys seen that have the tans temp gauge?

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

It really doesn't matter what you gear you put it in. Unless you are plowing extremely fast, the truck wont come out of first gear. It may occasionally hit second, but thats if you are doing long runs.
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My trans temp runs in the 120-140 range when plowing my driveway...this was measured this morning pushing deep (12-14"), moderately heavy snow. For what its worth I do not plow anyone else's driveway.

I usually put it in tow/haul to make sure it holds low gears longer on the long run up the driveway...I have heard that t/h mode also boosts the trans line pressure, but have no confirmation that this is true of the early NBS trucks. Driveway is about 400' long, uphill and around a gentle bend...I can hit 20mph at the paek of the push...fast enough for the doors to auto lock.
  4. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

I seen up to 190 is that to high,
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's your comformation mayhem :nod: T/h is a good idea when plowing... and the harder you use the truck, the more important it is to use... it will help the trans and especially the torque converter..

190* isn't "too high" but try to keep 190 as the maximum temp if at all possible. Think of 190* as the "safe limit".
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  6. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

I have an 04 6.0 so I think I have the 4L80E and it would get to around 200* before I had the clutch fan replaced, now when it's warmer, 30's and above, the trans will go to 150*. Now in colder temps it barely moves off 100*. I believe the 4L80E is a beefed up Turbo 400. Which I was told is a pretty durable tranny.