1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 What rpm does your 01 hd2500 run?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by krazy, Dec 1, 2005.

1. krazy

krazy Junior Member
    from MN

At 75 or so the truck runs 2500 rpms. I got the truck used and am guessing the truck has 410s in her???

2. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

That sounds like its exactly where it needs to be.

3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

That pretty close to what mine is running. Although I havent ran it at 75 much at 60 with 4.10s it is running right around 2000

William

4. I know that all

I know that all the new 2500 hd (cept the diesel) do come with 4.10s........the duramax has 3.73....but I am not posotive about the 01's

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

ALL the 2500HD's DO NOT come w/4.10's. It is how you order it. You cannot order anything higher (numerically) than the 3.73 w/the the Duramax, but you can order either one with the gassers.

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

at 65mph mine runs at about 2200-2300

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

KRAZY................. No need to guess. Look at the RPO code list
    thats on the inside of your glove box..........

GT-4 is 3:73
    GT-5 is 4:10

Also look for G-80 that is limited slip.... VYU is plow prep...........geo

8. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Depends on the motor for the HD...6.0's have 4.10's no matter what. The Duramax has 3.73's no matter what. The 8.1 is where you have the choice between the 3.73 and the 4.10.

9. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

my 6.0 has 3.73's and its a 2000

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Holy crap, I didnt know you couldnt get 4:10s behind a Dmax! That makes me really want one a lot less. I have used both 3:73 and 4:10 extensively and I love 4:10s! I drive a 2500 6.0 4:10 rear for work, it has twice the nads of all our other trucks that have 6.0s, 2 are 2500hds and one is a 1500hd. the 1500hd has to have lousy gears because it is a dog compared to the 2500 I usually drive. And mine has twice the miles.
    My 97 has 4:10s behind a 6.5, and it is awesome. Only thing it doesnt like is cruising at much over 70-75. It will do it no problem, but it really goes through the fuel. If I keep it just under 70 I can get about 2 more mpg out of it. I was really wanting a newer HD or 3500 with a Duramax for my next truck, but I don't know if I can deal with 3:73 gears. I know the motor can make up for it, but it's still something you can feel. I might have to start thinking about the 8.1 liter instead.

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

While your thinking about an 8.1, you can also consider buying an oil field in the Middle East. payup

12. Detroitdan

Well, there are only 3 trucks that I would consider, a 2500HD CC, a 3500 CC, or an Avalanche 2500. The Avalanche 2500 is only available with the 8.1. If I went with a pickup it would have to be a Duramax, I would never buy a 6.0. And maybe after hearing the 3:73 news, I would take into consideration a pickup with a big block, but if I was forced into the big block that would probably make up my mind to get the AV. The big block is real close to the 6.0 as far as fuel mileage, and diesel fuel has been way more expensive for a long time now, it would probably work out the same. I just see no reason to buy a 6.0. I've driven a bunch of them and was not impressed with the power, EXCEPT in the 2wd 2500 with 4:10s. I think the 5.3 feels like a lot better motor, I've never really pulled any weight with one, but they sure go like a rocket. If they came in a truck with real towing capacity I'd take one over a 6.0 any day.

13. Detroitdan

I can't believe that all the 6.0s have 4:10s. We have a bunch of these trucks at work, mine being the only 2wd. How come all the 4wd 6.0s I've driven are dogs, and the 2wd 2500 4:10 has way more power, even at 247k? The only thing I could think of is rearend gear, the added weight of a 4wd shouldn't make that much difference.

14. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

why the 5.3 runs like a scared cat

Everybody I know that ever drove a 5.3 then a 6.0, including me, said the 6.0 felt like a slug - not really so!!! A friend was told by a GM. Tech that this "feel" is due to torque management and the computer control of hp/torque for light duty (8600#) truck emissions requirements.
    As for the 8.1, a contractor I always see at the gas station says his 8.1 Avalanche "gets about 8.1 mpg".... :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

The 6.0 is not bad at all. I am happy with mine. With that being said, the 8.1 has way more power. I had one in my Avy and have them in both my Suburban and other 2500HD. I get between 9-11 mpg on all three. The 6.0 gets only maybe 2 mpg better which, if I was buying a new truck, isn't enough to sway me. With a 1000 lbs of plow and 3000 lbs of salt I want the Big Block power.

16. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I didn't say ALL 6.0's have 4.10's. Only on the 2500HD's and up. If it's a 1500HD then you can get 3.73's.

Gears aside, the 6.0 is still a good engine. Enough power to do what I want and with a PCM tune, it's a different truck. Runs like a 5.3 Yukon XL, which I also have. The torque management electronically strangles the little 6.0, and a tune will eliminate it. Works for me.

Also lets not forget about plowing restrictions with the 8.1 and Duramax. With a 6.0, you can run whatever you want and be covered under warranty. With an 8.1 or Duramax, you are limited to size of blade and configuration of the cab. Don't get me wrong, I'm a diesel fan. However, my next truck will be a diesel, crew cab, and have a plow package. But something tells me it's not going to be a GM if they keep these restrictions in place.

I know you can put an 810 on a Duramax crew and "not" have any problems, but then again, I will not be at the mercy of a dealer when it come to warranty time.

17. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I've got a Blizzard 810 on my 2500HD Ext Cab w/the 8.1 and no problem. Not too many (if any) plows are heavier than that.

18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have the 5.3 and a 6.0. I had the 8.1 and I have to say that the 8.1 is the balls :redbounce It's got more tourque than I know what to do with. As far as gas mileage, I don't think there's a huge difference between the 8.1 and 6.0. I'll guess it was maybe 1 1/2 mpg or so but the difference in engine is very significant.