1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 vortec vs. duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by treemd298, Jan 25, 2010.

1. treemd298

treemd298 Junior Member

I've been running Fords for years & just test drove a 2010 chevy2500...I really liked it & am pretty sure i'm gonna give GM a try on my next rig. I asked about the diesel & the manager said gm could potentially refuse warranty on the engine due to the weight of the engine vs. the capacity of the front end. No wonder GM is ready to go under! Is the 6.0 a reliable engine to use on a plow truck? Do I do the duramax & take my chances? $45,000 is a lot to risk. I do 55 driveways with the truck & only have a few small lots. Any input would be helpful.

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Both are good motors but the 6.0 will only get 8mpg where with the duramax you will get around 15. What's the price difference?
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

6.0 is more than reliable to use for a plow truck. I have it my 2000 and it doesn't give me any trouble and has more than enough power to push. You can put a plow on the Duramax but if you don't do a lot of towing and just use it for plowing 6.0 is a great engine!
  4. treemd298

treemd298 Junior Member

pretty sure it"s about $7500...u sure bout the 8 mpg?
  5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Let me put it this way. Are you planning on buying a ginormous truck (ext or crew)? No wonder GM is ready to go under? Seriously? Thats has NOTHING to do with the liability reasons for the trucks.

The 6.0 vortec with 6L90 is an excellent combo.

The 6.6 duramax with Allison is also an excellent combo.

There are plenty of ways to counter the weight of the engines (timbrens, t-bar cranks, good rear ballast)

If you want a reg. cab, make sure it has plow prep regardless. It can come with either 6.0 or 6.6.

If you want an ext. cab, and are fine with a short box, then either engine would be good, but the 6.0 would be optimal.

If you want a crew cab, with the duramax, make sure you find out what your dealer(s) are willing to cover for warranty.

Also, a duramax now, since the addition of the 2007 emissions standards, doesnt get the best fuel mileage. A 6.0, driven with a light foot could probably get the same, if not slightly better fuel economy.

Personally, I see no reason to plow with a 45k+ truck in the first place.

Also, I am not sure as to if there are any 2010 hd trucks with the duramax. The duramax has been in a production hold since mid december and will re-open in april for the 2011 engine.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a 6.0 and 2 LMM's and the mileage isn't even close. the 6.0 gets between 9-12 and the LMM's get between 14-18 mpg. I really don't find maintence to be much more expensive with a diesel but we do all of our own in house. With the extra cost of the Dmax it's probably a bit of a wash at the end unless you keep trucks for 10 years like we do. If you have the money and want a diesel buy one, if your financing the whole thing I'd buy the 6.0 unless your doing alot of towing. They are both great motors.
  7. treemd298

treemd298 Junior Member

extended cab is what i'm planning on. $37k with the 6.0 in it. I dont trailer much with it, I have a diesel 1 ton for that.As long as the 6.0 does the job i'd prefer gas anyways. there arent any gas stations local to get diesel late nite.
  8. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You must be getting leather, dvd and every other option they have for 37k. I paid 32k for mine. It has the 6.0. I get 9-12mpg. I don't have leather and navigation, but I don't really need all that. Plenty of power. If you don't tow alot you really don't need the diesel. If you have the money and want the diesel get it.
  9. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Normal driving around with my plow on I get 10-12mpg. If I cruise at 55 I can get 15 w/o the plow. Get on the highway doing 70 +/- and it averages about 13-14. I think the Duramax is a $8000+ option.
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I've got the 6.0L in my truck- engine's a real beast- even having a couple FORD guys drive it around some- they too admit- it has comparable, or more power than ford's V10 (6.8L). Reliability? Short of some annoying "little" stuff (CEL flashing due to clogging injectors), it has been a GREAT engine! Plenty of power and torque to tow and plow anything I throw at it...only downside is the fuel mileage- I'm lucky to see 8-9MPG around town, and 10-12 (if I'm lucky) on the highway.

Now, if you're going to be pulling 12K lbs+ trailers around everyday, yes, I'd probably opt to get a DMax...but for me at least, it didn't make sense to throw $8-9K more at a truck just for the DMax...I can buy a lot of gas with that! Plus, I've heard that the new generation LMM DMax's get about the same mileage as my gasser!

I haven't driven a new generation HD with the 6.0L and the new 6 speed, but I'm sure it would be like my 4L85E- strong trans.

Goodluck with your purchase- welcome to the GM club!ussmileyflag
  11. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Have u considered buying used? You could pick up an 05-07 classic cheaper and could get a dmax without sacrificing cost. I traded my 03 6.0 in for my dmax and will never own another gasoline truck again. Is it worth the extra money?... To me, yes.
  12. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

The 6.0 will be plenty for what you need to do!!! Save money and still have a nice truck!!
  13. treemd298

treemd298 Junior Member

i have been searching the used truck listings &will pull the trigger if i find the right truck.its goin to be my personal vehicle during the rest of the season so i want something with some extras. theres no trucks new on the lots since GM is behind on production.If i want new it looks like ordering it & waiting 6-8 weeks. Plenty of nice FORDS on the lots though.:nono:
  14. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I have an 09 2500 ext cab and get around 14 mpg w/o the plow. It has plenty of power to do my drives and lot without breaking a sweat. You should check out some of the more truck specific dealers, I know there are a few nice ones on the lot where I got mine.
  15. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

You are right. The dealer where I bought my truck from has no new 3/4 tons on the lot. Only two used. Said they won't have any untill April or May. And they are the #1 GMC dealer in Maine!!
  16. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I bought a used 08 crewcab this past summer, tow a 30ft camper and plow with it. It has plenty of motor plus more. I really like the tranny it has.
  17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

WOW- what gearing do you have in the truck? I assume this is the 6.0L gasser?
  18. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

But which motor did you get? Duramax or 6.0?

I love my Duramax. I don't tow everyday. I bought the diesel for longevity and fuel mileage. I've had it a little over 3 years and I've put 63k on it so far. It averages 19-21 mpg on the highway.
  19. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Yes its a 6.0 with 3.73. Its usually half highway half around town and I've never got below 13 mpg on a tank unless I'm plowing. I get between 13.5-14.5 depending on what I'm doing that week and I put around 25k per year on the truck so I have the mpg dialed in pretty well.
  20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The 6.0 is a very good motor with the 80E/85E in the 99-07 classic and with the 6 speed auto in the current body trucks. If you want more power and some better economy, a custom tune is always a good start.

6.6 allison combo is also good and a complete powerhouse. The newest ones do suffer in the mpg department though due to new emission standards.

If you are looking used dont forget about looking for the 8.1 allison combo. It will have about the same economy numbers as the 6.0, but put up much higher power numbers and a ton of torque. Seems like they are getting harder to come by though and only offered in the 01-07 classic HD's.