1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 turbo

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by OhioPlower, Mar 9, 2009.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im thinking about buying a 06-07 6.0. I drove a 06 350 today and when I would get on it pretty good then let off I would hear kind of a thumping sound. Im guessing its the turbo spooling down, am I right? My 04 duramax doesnt make that sound lol. Ive drove alot of different diesel trucks and havent heard it before. Ive drove 2 other 6.0s and dont recall if they made that sound or not, I think they did.

2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

its the pressure relief in the turbo leeting the excess pressure out.. they all do it search you tube for 6.0 turbo fart.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Either that or "turbo bark" which is never good.

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im going to drive more 6.0s tomorrow, we'll see what they sound like

5. ColliganLands

its only doing it under hard acceleration and then you suddenly let off the throttle quickly right?

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

If I recall it was doing it under moderate to heavy acceleration. When I put it to the floor and let of I dont think it did it. I think it was just in the 1800-2300 rpm range and would let off it would do it.

7. ColliganLands

like this?
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i103.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/STUMP0331/CLIP0080.flv">
    mine will do it around the same rpms especially going up a hill ford told me its normal and just backed up pressure being released from the turbo

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

yup thats it. Is that your truck? I kinda think it sounds cool. Whats everyone elses opinion on this, is that sound normal? Also do 6.0s have high idle? If not can I go to a ford dealer and get it programed in the truck like I heard they do with 7.3s?

9. ColliganLands

thats not my truck just found it online.
    the 6.0 has a highidle you can hook up using the upfitter switch or an aftermarket togle switch
    heres the link to the ford bulletin on how to hook it up
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q108.pdf
    it might sound cool i guess and yes it is totally normal

10. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

thats interesting cause my 04 6.0L doesn't make that noise.

11. JDiepstra

That is not a good noise! As I said, it is turbo bark and over time will destory your turbo! That noise is caused by air, flowing backwards through the turbo. Believe me, I am right.

12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

My 05 F-250 does that "EXACT" noise after hittin the throttle hard! It's gotta be normal?!?

JDiepstra, what would be the solution to fix that if it's not suppopsed to happen?

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wow guys.................that's not a good thing at all. It is turbo bark as stated above and not cool. Stupid people will tell you it's ok and just the turbo spooling down, which it is not. First off, that's what a blow off valve is for. BUT, diesels don't produce vaccum so they don't have BOV's. Spend about $1k and you can get one. That being said, the noise you hear is the turbines in the turbo fighting the boost pressure after boost is reached and it has nowhere to go b/c the vanes closed as you let off the throttle (or wastegate if it applies, but not in this case). You should always roll into and out of the throttle if you're beating on it, and this is the reason.

Do a search for the term "juicegrips". To me that sound under normal driving is a sign that the truck was abused. Too much of it and it happens more and more often at lower and lower boost #'s. The result is a blown up turbo..........a weak point in the 6.0L as it is.

On a similar note, if this is "normal" according to Ford, no wonder the 6.0's have turbo as well as top end problems. Excess cylinder pressure could just as well be caused by turbo bark too IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

To answer the question "what's the fix for this?". Lol, a new turbo, a big money BOV, or drive the truck like it's a diesel and not a Mustang or Camaro. Respect the fact that it has a turbo. Sometimes it's inevatible, but if it's happening all the time, it's not the truck's fault.

15. JDiepstra

As has already been said, you need to let off the throttle more slowly. Keep barking your turbo and sooner or later your impeller will come into contact with the walls of the turbo, or, the shaft will just snap. Either occurence will send bits and pieces of your turbo through your intercooler and into your engine.

Two good posts in a row. Thanks for bringing some accurate info into the thread.

16. ColliganLands

wow i guess ill call my dealer and tell him hes a moron, i cant believe the ford dealer would say its ok when its not.
    ive only got that noise a couple times (especially going up hill and someone turns in front of you) ill try to let off the throttle more easily when its possible

17. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thanks guys. Should I be having second thoughts on buying a 6.0? Should I look into the 6.4s instead? I just drove one and its too damn quiet for me but it was nice.

18. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I dont like the dpf, fuel mileage, and how quiet the 6.4s are though. I drove one yesterday and I think it was in regen mode cuz the lie o meter went from 10mpg down to 4-5mpg. Guess ill keep lokking at late model 6.0s and get the 200k mile warranty. From what ive read the late model 6.0s arent bad if you keep them stock, right?

19. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Did you call up your dealer yet Colligansland?

20. ColliganLands

just keep it stock is what my dealer told me. also i spoke to them on that "fart"/"bark" noise and its not good like they originally said. he told me if it keeps happening it can be bad but just to avoid goin from being hard into the throttle to no throttle at all. its exactly like jdpiestra and got-h2o said backed up pressure being released back into the turbo

also make sure you "open it up" every now and then.... get on it good so the veins in the turbo dont get clogged up

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009