1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 turbo whistle louder then normal

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy01, Apr 23, 2015.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

The past few days I have noticed my '05 6.0 has had a very high pitched whistle. I usually hear it as I'm slowing down and sometimes at idle. If I tap the gas pedal the high pitched sound goes away for a second, then comes back.

The truck has a 4" straight pipe exhaust and an aftermarket turbo so it already has a hell of a whistle. It still builds boost, the PSI seems to be normal, EGTs are fine and the trucks not smoking.

Any ideas of what the unusually high pitched whistle would be? I'm worried that the turbo is dying or there's other problems.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Loose band clamp?

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This one time at band camp....................

Sorry, I couldn't resist. lol

4. dieselboy01

I took all the CAC pipes and boots off and gave them a cleaning and inspection. Everything looked good. Put it all back in and I still hear the noise.

And then what happened Mark....

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

He met Defcon and.....

I was thinking the clamp for DP, but I think you would see soot.

6. dieselboy01

Ah, I see. No soot on the firewall or diesel smell in the cab.

I also noticed it only seems to do it when it's up to operating temp.

7. dieselboy01

I took a video of the truck idling next to a wall today. Maybe this will help in figuring out what it is. This is my first time uploading a video to youtube and this site so lets hope it works.

https://youtu.be/uipuRf_QtRk

8. dieselboy01

Seems to be working.

At 16 seconds in I hit the pedal and the whistle stopped for a second. I did the same at 22 seconds.

Hopefully this will help.

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Up pipes. Both my 6.0 had them fail. They get small splits in them in the accordion part of the up pipe. Get after market ones have them put on before it completely blows out and you lose power, go deaf, or die from carbon monoxide in the cab. I had to plow two storms with them cracked in my truck and it got progressively worse. The other one went in the summer and it was no big deal. Good luck!

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a new radiator cap.....

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If the turbo was going out it wouldn't be building boost and it would be hazing or
    Rolling coal ie smoking.

Your building boost, egts are normal.

When you slow down so does your water pump,
    Just when your cooling system is hot,
    As The heat builds in the system so does the psi and like a tea pot, it's blowing its lid,
    Weak radiator cap,
    Jmo,
    It'll cost ya $15 to call me a XYZ.:whistling:

Ps, I hope your giving it fuel and not gas,
    Useing gas could be your problem .
    Naw I couldn't just let it pass.....

12. dieselboy01

I'll pick up a new cap and try that today, thanks snofarmer.

13. dieselboy01

I got a new cap from NAPA today, I find it strange it's not a ratcheting cap.

I started the truck when cold with the new cap on and it whistled right away, I took the cap off with the truck running and the whistle faded. I put the new cap back on and a little tighter and headed to the gas station. (about 15 min away, all back country roads) There was no whistle on the way to the station and a very little bit on the way home. I'm not sure what to make of this yet. I'll be driving this truck to work tomorrow (about an hour on the freeway) and I'll report my findings.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hummm.
    i was sure I had a slam dunk...

let it cool off at home, remove the cap, and reinstall cold.
    And I guess the puke can should be close to the low mark on those too when cold.

that's about all I got for ya.

15. dieselboy01

I'll try that before I leave in the morning.

She was still whistling today. Not to much in the ride into work but she was singing on the way home. I noticed it does is between 0-2psi of boost. One my gauge hits 3psi the noise goes away. It's still not whistling all the time, just when it wants to.

On a Ford forum Someone suggested using a scan gauge and opening and closing the turbo vanes to see if that's the problem. I'd have to buy a gauge but that might be my next step when I get time.

16. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Just something to look at, I have seen the driver's side intake pipe with a hole rubbed thru the bottom of pipe. I think there is a TSB on it. The new pipe is an update part.

17. dieselboy01

Are you talking the rubber pipe that clamps directly to the turbo?

This has me thinking it's the up pipe, his has the same pitch. In the video his whistles when he revs it but in his caption he said it started whistling at idle.

6.0 powerstroke cracked uppipe - YouTube

18. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

linky no worky

19. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

The left side, some pipes would rub a hole in the bottom of the pipe from the air charge unit to the engine. I'm not stating thats your problem, just something to look at. If it makes noise sitting still you should be able to isolate it fairly easily.

20. dieselboy01