1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 tuners?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Aug 10, 2010.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I've never really looked much into 6.0s as far as tuners go, I know there are a few 6.0 guys on here, care to either point me in the right direction or take me to school on tuners for a 6.0? All I really know is to stay away from banks/bullydog and generic brands like that.. I've heard of SCT, but not much about it. If all goes well I should be getting myself an '05+ 6.0, or a LLY/LBZ dmax.

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I have the SCT with Spartan programs. Simply the best in my opinion. My truck is an 07 dually with 4.30 gears. The only other mod I have is an MBRP with cat delete and 3.5" downpipe. With their "hybrid race" (not full race) my truck ran 15.62 @ 88mph. Then it went back to work and towed my buddies Chevelle home while getting 14mpg loaded. Great tunes from these guys.

3. WilliamOak

Can you explain more about the relationship between SCT/spartan? I thought they were two different companies?

4. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I know I already posted this in your other thread, but SCT with Innovative tunes.

Source: I'm always on powerstroke.org, and most guys run that setup on their 6.0's.

5. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I have to agree I have an SCT with Custom Tunes from Eric at Innovative Diesel,seems to be the best tuner for the 6.0L.:salute:

6. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Don't forget the fact that our 6.0's love to stretch the head bolts with aggressive tunes. If you're going for the more powerful tunes don't forget to invest in some new head bolts too.

7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I'm running the hypermax programmer, I usually keep it on the lowest setting which is a 25hp increase over stock. I can crank it up to 150hp and really fly, I've only done that once.

8. WilliamOak

Yah, the plan would be to be on an economy tune most of the time and tow tune and go fast every once in a while.

Why the hypermax over SCT? Where did you get it? How much did it run you? You need better pics of the new rig lol.

Thats what I seem to be finding out today. No real bad opinions on them.

9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

The original owner of the truck had purchased the Hypermax, when he traded the truck in he took it out. Amazingly he saw one of my shop guys at a marina with my truck and gave him his contact info. I was able to contact him and get the programmer from him for $200.

10. WilliamOak

Small world lol. I'd like the twin to your truck but black!
    btw you wouldnt happen to deal with yamaha waverunners at all would you?

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

SCT with tunes from Eric at Innovative. He tunes our 6.4's and has tuned my 6.0's in the past. I have ran almost every available tuning device on the 6.0's (banks, edge, bullydog, superchip, ts, predator and SCT) SCT is the ONLY way to go. With the SCT I have tried tunes from 4or 5 different custom tuners. Eric at innovative is the only one I will continue to deal with.
    With the 6.0's there is a chance you will need studs but I have had 3 6.0s and never studded any one of them. My 04 was making 700hp and 50psi of boost on stock bolts :}
    Robert Cook

12. WilliamOak

What does it run for the SCT tuner and what tunes are available? I was thinkin an economy, 2 tow tunes, and then 2 more fun tunes.. Unless theres some other fun ones like the drive through tune on 7.3s lol.
    How do you switch from tune to tune? Is there a control module like with most tuners or just a switch or somethin else? Can you switch tunes on the fly or do you need to be stopped? Anything else I should know about them? lol

I was waiting for you to chime in haha.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Hypermax is pretty local to us.

14. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

The SCT X3 Programmer is like $430, custom tunes are $65 each I believe. You have to stop to change tunes, because your transmission has to relearn shifting points, that's why its so good, because it saves your tranny. You choose between Street, Towing, Economy tunes, there's different levels in each of them. (I think)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  15. rob_cook2001

Jamie is right. You have to stop to re-program. And the trans tuning is to die for. Don't worry about it taking time to re-tune. Once you find a program you like you will leave it on most of the time. I run Eric's extreme street tune in my 6.4 about 80% of the time. The only time I load a different tune is to go race at the track or if I am going to tow something heavy (10k+) further than 20 or 30 miles. I think your looking at like $450 including tunes. To give you a Idea on power, with just a tune and exhaust I have ran 14.6's in a CC DRW at 6000 feet above sea level.
    Robert

16. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

sorry to hijack the thread a lil but i was wondering. if you throw a tuner on a 06 wit the 6.0, would the dealer be able to tell your using one if you pull it out for warranty work? ive heard yes it leaves a code and ive heard no. do you know since youve had em in 6.0's before?

17. WilliamOak

Rob- did you bother to go with an economy tune or have any first hand experience with one and what type of mileage one can expect? Around town I'd love to have and would probably stick with a fun tune but driving to school and back (3+ hours and mostly flat 60-65mph driving, mpg heaven basically lol) is really where Id want the truck to shine.
    Would you say theres no need for a shift kit with the SCT tuner? Would it only help or just be $$ I simply dont need to spend? Also once again please excuse my ignorance but you just ordered the tuner from eric and had it installed locally (or diy) or does it have to go to eric?

18. rob_cook2001

No matter what you do, if they dig deep enough they can find something. That being said I have had a lot of warranty work done on trucks that have had tuners. The safest thing for warranty is only use a mild tune so that you don't need gauges. And only do a cat back exhaust. Things like gauges, intakes and full exhaust systems are things that make them look for a tuner.

19. rob_cook2001

I have tried economy tunes but have always gotten my best fuel economy on extreme street or race tunes. I know it does not sound right but it is true. With my CC DRW trucks The best I have done is right at 20 mpg on the highway at 70mph. Normal highway driving I would always get around 17-18. There is no real way to do a shift kit on a 5r110 trans. The SCT does a great job of controlling the transmission. When you order the tuner Eric will ship it to you. Then you use it to read your strategy on your truck, then he will write the tunes and e-mail the tunes to you. Very simple.
    Robert

20. WilliamOak

So I should expect a bit more mpg out of a SRW with 3.73s then if my logic is correct? The only real weight the truck will be carrying for the trips to and from school will be my toolbox and me, no 100 gal transfer tanks or cabs full of people.

Sounds very easy, and no shift kit = more $ in my pocket (or for other mods payup), I had always assumed you could do one on any trans. I guess you learn something new every day! lol.

I would have never guessed that you would get the best mileage out of a race tune, definitely doesnt seem like how it should be lol.