1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 that bad????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CNY LAKE EFFECT, Sep 28, 2010.

1. CNY LAKE EFFECT

CNY LAKE EFFECT Junior Member

Getting a little nervous here? Just switched from Chevy and bought an 04 F350 with 6.0 in it. Seems not many people like this and was just curious as to why? Hope I didn't make a huge mistake.

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

yes 03 and 04 were absolutly horrible, turbos, egrs, injectors etc... as the years went up from there they got a little better, overall a bad engine tho

3. F-250 SD

F-250 SD Junior Member

Both my 03 and 06 that went through a few EGR's. The 03 has close to 150k and the 06 just went over 100k. other than the EGR's never had a problem. Just dont let them idle too long and the EGR's should be ok,,,they love to run.

4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

No issues, only 37k though on a 06.

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

head studs and EGR delete and they're ok. how many miles? The 03-04's are a crapshoot.

6. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I have 2 04's. 1 '05. I've had no problems on the '04s and they have 130-140,000 each, had the ERG, head and turbo problems on the '05 but it was at 80,000 miles so it was covered. Overall I've been very happy with them all. The problem is when they are out of warranty it's expensive to do anything to them. Good luck!

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Did the 6.0's have problems? SURE...... But not near as much as most people seem to think. I have owned 3, one was making over 700hp to the wheels. Hardly any problems. Best things you can do is tuning and block off the egr. Then if you have any HG problems install head studs.
    And like people have already told you, Try not to Idle the motor for more than 5 minutes unless you wire up a high idle (very easy to do).
    Robert

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

One of my 04's has 223k. No major issues, a turbo about 5k ago, and now having cold start issues. Something we'll figure out once I have time to scan it. Seems like FICM issue. Other one 140k, having overheat issues right now, either EGR or water pump IMO. Overall great trucks, workhorses for sure.

9. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

The 6.0s go like hell when they are running good. The more maint. you do the less likely injector problems are. Keep the oil nice and clean and don't baby the turbo. The turbos can seize up, but if you lay into the throttle quite a bit it'll help keep that sucker free. Oh, and just my 2 cents... ya can't beat the torqshift trans.

10. CNY LAKE EFFECT

CNY LAKE EFFECT Junior Member

Thanks for all the insight everyone. This one has 80,000 on it and all the service records, definately took care of it. I talked to a Ford Powerstroke guru out this way today and he gave me some great info. Mostly all stuff you have said, maintenance is key. He said that motor needs oil change at 3000 mi and no later!!!! He also said it has to have a Motorcraft filter as the others are either too long or too short. He said this is key as the other filters block something off and let the oil drain somewhere it shouldn't, can't exactly remember what he said. He is also blocking off the EGR for me. Thanks again

11. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I have a 05 bad experince, 68k and the egr blew and I have to replace the egr cooler and oil cooler and all the coolant hoses not sure if it took out the gaskets yet, worst thing is it's 3 months out of warranty and ford dosn't really care. They bascially told me the truck is over 5 years old so its not out of line for something like that to happen. I'm pissed I didn't buy a diesel for it to blow up in 68k, now I wanting on parts so I can get it fixed because its an expensive turd in the driveway.

12. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I dont think I would touch a 6.0 but you can get them cheap as alot of people are wanting to get rid of them due to past problems.

13. riverstone

riverstone Junior Member
    from ohio

I have an 04 f250 6.0l. Bought new in 04. Had EGR Cooler replaced at 30,000 mi under warranty. other than that never any problems. Think problems were in some build dates and not others. Clean EGR Valve a couple times a year and use the right anti freeze. Those are key. Also, I use Cetane Boost when I put fuel in. Can buy that at any Ford dealer.

14. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Sell,,, !!!!!!!!!!!

15. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

this is all you need to do and you will not have a problem with it

16. Chipper

Chipper Member

223,000 miles on mine runs great. Quit worrying about it and just drive the thing. Every truck has problems and its little quirks. A least you didn't make the V-10 MISTAKE.....

17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Why would that be and where does the high idle idle at?

18. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

How exactly was an engine that overall was far more reliable than the 6.0 a mistake?

19. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Good question ! I love my 07 v - 10. Sure I don't like the gass mileage but for 6 k less and gas being cheaper I feel SOOOO smart. It is rated to do the same work as the diesel and does it just fine. My customers don't pay me more becasue I drive a diesel and the rest of the truck is the same throw away piece of junk. I seriously considered the 6.0 but I personally know 4 guys that were able to lemon their's ( 2004 - 2006) I know there are good ones but I didn't want to roll the dice. If the truck we are talking about already has 80 k I would say it's definatly a good one. I don;t want to steal a thread here but seriously the only major compaint of a v -10 is the gas it uses, not the time in the shop or cost of repairs.

, shaun

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

What he said, and lets put a cap on the gas vs. diesel comments before this inevitably turns into a pissing match.