1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 tap when cold

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jpocket, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

My motor taps on cold mornings when I first crankup, It sounds like the liftters aren't pumped up, but this is a 2005 with 4500 miles. I when to the dealer this morning, and they said ALL 6.0's tap like that for a few seconds at cold start up. what do you guys think? It just doesn't sound right to me, not very loud but if you know alittle about motors you can hear it.
  2. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

I have the same issue with my 05 hd and i had it with my 1999 5.3 and a friend with his 2000 6.0 with 173,000 miles they keep telling us its normal noise never had any issue with my 99 but i still dont like it
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

it sounds like the valve lifters...when the engine sits the oil flows to the bottom, the tap is because there is no oil in there and since the oil is cold it takes a little longer for the oil to reach the lifters...my truck does it too, taps for about 5 seconds then after oil gets up there it goes away...i wouldnt worry too much about it
  4. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

i have a 99 silverado 5.3 also. it does the exact same thing- i dont like it either.. anyway to fix or correct this
  5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

This sounds like the piston slap issue. Sounds exactly like lifters. They fixed this in I believe 03. The 99-02 all did this for the first 20 or so seconds on startup. My 05 doesn't do it. I guess they put upgraded pistons to prevent this.
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i dont know if this would work, or if you would want to try it, but try a lighterweight oil...that way it flows a little better
  7. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I have the 05 and I was told that they fixed the piston slap issue this year. I have 9,000 miles on mine and have not heard any tapping yet. I imagine I would have by now if it was going to. However, I think my starter has been sticking a tad on cold mornings. I can here a little zip when it turns over the motor. Has anyone had this happen?
  8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Not sure how long they have been doing this but I know the 05's do... When you turn the key and release it before the truck fires up, it will continue to turn the starter until the truck fires. Usually you won't notice. Kind of strange but if you read your owners manual it says it I believe.
  9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

m 05 6.0 does it too. even w/ synthetic oil.
  10. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Junior Member

I've started Cats, Isuzus, Internationals, Detroits, Deutzs, Liebherrs, Yanmars and probably one or two others I can't think of. They all tap on cold start-up. Some a whole lot worse then others.
    Keeping an eye on the oil pressure (to make sure its rising to operating range) and allowing adequate warm up of engine, hydraulic and transmission components is very important. Turbo-chargers need some warm-up (and cool-down) as do hydraulic circuits. I've seen the bottles on 4" diameter hydraulic pistons explode like bombs when they were loaded before adequate warm-up. Even just five or ten minutes engine warm up, or a couple-three minutes of cycling cold hydraulic circuits, can save you a huge amount of mechanical wear and heartache.
  11. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Same ol' GM Piston Slap. Every year they say it's fixed and every year it's still there. Not all motors do it. My 8.1 on the 2002 Suburban does, but the 8.1 on the 2001 2500HD doesn't. Dunno.
  12. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

chevy = piston slap, plain and simple...it's the ONLY thing I don't like about my 2000 k3500, but it's also the only thing I did not like about all my chevy trucks, p30's k30's, you name it...they all sound the same from 1986 - 2000 for me. I consider it normal, pasenger always ask if thats a normal sound, I always say "it's a chevy, engine noise is expected"
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I wouldnt worry about it. And if you are worried about it, call GM and they'll give you a 100k mile warranty on your engine.

Just like the other guys said, its normal.
  14. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

it's a very subtle sound you can hear it on the inside (Not piston slap) you can only hear it by the front wheel well, does it for about 15 seconds then goes away.
  15. phishoook

phishoook Member

what fuel do you use? What oil?
  16. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I use Castrol GTX 5w 30, and Regular 87octane.

Please dont try to sell me on the Whole "SYNTHETIC THING"
  17. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Not sure on your area, but in my area of the country GM recommends 10W30 over 5W30. Rep states 5W30 not needed unless you consistently get temps below 0 F... I had a lifter tap on the '88 with 165000 miles that was cured by using the AC Delco oil filter...I had been using which ever name brand was on sale. Supposed to have a better check valve system....
  18. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Im down in PA, I just put 5w-30 because that what the manual calls for, I figured the same thing about usuing 10w30, but figured I would follow the manual, I use 10w-30 in all the other trucks alnog with Lucas oil.
  19. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

45 k and CSK

gm says its normal.sad to see they still havent corrected the issue.one of the many that i had to have fixed and seem to still be going on in the 2005`s..its no wonder why there having money problems.dont get me wrong i still love my chevy but they have to get on the ball with these ongoing issues.i have it at 45k,started around 2500 miles and isnt always the same.different days it lasts different times etc.went back before my 36k bumper to bumper ran out and got a free 7 yr 100,00 engine warranty.
  20. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

My 6.0 does it to, like everyone else, I don't like it. Normal? I guess. My bro in law his 6.0 does it too.

BTW if you put on two 40 series Flowmaster mufflers the tapping is still there but ya can't hear it anymore ( out of hearing out of mind!!!!):drinkup: :drinkup: