1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 started staling

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by KBTConst, Feb 4, 2011.

1. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have a 2003 6.0 when I slow down to make a turn sometimes it stalls but it will start right back up and it will also start to stall going down the road at 55-60 mph every once in awhile anyone ever have this problem the Ford dealer and my mechanic cant figure this out. thanks for any help Jerry

2. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Bump for some info.

3. damian

damian Senior Member

like always,scan for codes first,get more info,6.0s have lots of issues,best to not dig up problems you dont have yet .too expensive for guessing.

4. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

That's the problem no codes. Its been to the dealer which the head diesel mechanic is a good friend of mine and he could not find any thing and I had it at my brother in laws which is a Ford mechanic and neither of them could find the reason.

5. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

First let me say I am a huge Ford fan. The repair is simple take one gallon of diesel and gasoline mixed and pour it on the engine and then set fire to it. I had a 2005 and a 2007 F450 with the 6.0 and they were terrible no matter how much maintenance they got, they spent more time at the dealer than on the road. My happiest day was when someone offered to buy it from me for payoff. I laughed all the way to the bank. I have 2 7.3 trucks with well over 200k on each with only minor repairs like clutches and glow plugs.

But my brother in law has a2006 f350 with 126,000 and has only one small problem. So go figure

6. okiestrader

okiestrader Junior Member

I had a similar prob with my 04 F350. It would start and idle fine. But,sometimes after it warmed up it would run rough and die. When the problem first started,,it would restart within a couple minutes,,then it would would take hours before it would restart. And sometimes it felt like the throttle went out completely.You could step on it and nothing,, it would just idle,,then die. Turned out to be a bad FICM(fuel injector control module).These 6.0 are bad about electrical problems. You should get your batteries tested along with your alternator. All it took was one bad cell in my batts and that caused FICM to get fried.These Fords need exaclty 24v to the FICM which converts it to 48v to operate the injectors any less and you get expensive problems. Pulling it is an easy job,,and these guys have a quick vid to show you how. And the best part is they will save you a ton of cash if it is the FICM that went out. They will also test it for you if you don't want to do the test yourself. Here is their link http://circuitboardmedics.com/?page_id=116 And fyi,,,if you choose to pull it yourself. Disconnect the return coolant hose under the coolant tank,,it's a squeeze hose clamp(you will need something to catch a couple gallons of coolant). This allows you to remove the tank and gives you complete access to the FICM. I learned the hard way and broke that lower return line and it's and 80.00 dealer only item.