1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stik208, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Are the only known issues to the 6.0 the manifold studs and it like gas?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Sometimes the intake gaskets go bad, older ones have some oil consumption issues, and some have light piston slap issues. Mine has 184k on it and still pulls/pushes what I throw at it. They respond well to a computer tune and pick up a few mpgs from it

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Knock on wood, the only issue I've ever had is the manifold. Fixed it twice. Other than that, love everything about them. Lots of power!

4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I would be leaving it stock either way. I hope this is the last one I buy for a loooooooong time if I get it. Its an 04 2500 non hd crew cab.

5. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

My 2005 2500hd 6.0 only has 45,000 miles on it and here is the list of problems. Water pump, manifold studs, rear brakes and rotors, fan clutch, universals on drive shaft, rust galore underneath the truck, and it pours scalding heat out of the passenger side vents when its on or off and this problem has not been fixed yet. If I didn't't have a plow attached to the front of it I would of traded it along time ago. I hate my truck for now.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Almost forgot, they are known for eating the flexplate for lunch. Had mine done last year. Fairly inexpensive part, just the labor was a bit to do it

7. nightwalks

nightwalks Member

Every engine has it's issues, mine has 188K on it and it runs great.....will pass anything but a gas station, but that's the nature of the beast. Fuel pressure regulator, throttle body, brakes, but runs great. Do need a few exhaust manifiold bolts, which I have the updated ones from the dealer and will replace them all. Good luck with yours....

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have 62K on my 05 2500HD and all i have is a slight manifold tick barley noticeable unless the engine is cold. i love the truck and it get about the same mileage as any other full size gas truck. lots of power too

9. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I just sold my 04 and bought an 08. I loved it and never had an issue with the truck! The only thing I would suggest is to change all the fluids. I ran all Royal Purple in my truck. Yes it was a little pricey but well worth it. I did the Transmission once a year and oil every 5k. Good luck with your new one ! :drinkup:

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Add break lines, fuel line, push button 4WD switch, AC condensor, and windshield wiper motor and that was my '02 by 100K miles. It the truck's defense, it was a tank and was a decent truck. It had been a landscpaing/work truck all its life, so that is what you would expect from it. I was disappointed with how quickly the frame started rusting and flaking though.

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have 128k on my 02 and only did brakes and just did Knock sensors.