1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 PSD problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tom Smith, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I have a 04 F350 PSD .... When i go to accelerate there are huge amounts of smoke coming out of the tailpipe and the truck is a bit jumpy where it doesnt what to accelerate... Any idea why its doing this? I was driving at about 45mph and i look back and there was so much smoke i couldnt see behind me. Is it possiable that the truck isnt getting enough air... i think the plow was on the few times it was doing this... not sure if thats the problem..
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Junior Member
    from Alaska

Smoke is fuel related. Take it to ford. Im not up on all the problems but I would think you are losing an injector. If you have pilot injection the likelyhood increases that it is injector failure. These new fangled diesel have a lot more to go wrong with them though. From the variable turbos to the ebv and egr systems. There are so many variables.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

It does sound like a possible injector issue. Take it to the Ford dealer and let them worry about fixing it for you.
  4. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I will have to make an appointment to bring it in.... i was just curious as to what it could be ?
  5. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

Fuel filter?

The "jumpy where it doesn't what to accelerate..." sounds like it could be a dirty fuel filter. They're easy to change and reletively inexpensive, but if its still under warranty I'd try to get ford to do it.
  6. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I just changed out the 2 fuel filters about a month ago
  7. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I took it to ford and had it fixed. The problem was.... Turbo Fins needed to be adgusted and it need a new egr valve.
  8. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

All I hear are problems with the new 6.0's///My buddies shut down while doing 75 on the highway!!! Talk about a wake up call!!!!
    I'll stick weith my 5.4!