1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 project/small build

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by durafish, Aug 13, 2013.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Well as some of you already know we just purchased a 2003 ford f250 6.0 psd with a few engine problem. Yes i know that most people hate these trucks and that 03 is the worst of them but for the price i feel as if we did real good.
    Heres a few details
    03 stock 6.0 powerstroke
    123,000 miles
    new egr
    xlt extra cab short bed
    mm2 pushplates and 1/2 of wiring
    cab corners need replacement and the bed is bubbling
    interior is mint
    tires are good
    basically its a good to go truck minus the engine problems

the problem:
    "When cold runs great after it gets to operating temp it seems to feel like a clogged fuel filter, if you give is a lot of fuel it clears out. no smoke, no check engine lights, truck did run out of fuel last week and after this it started.?

So the plans are:
    fix the engine
    fix the rust on the cab
    remove bed and undercoat it with por15
    undercoat frame with por15
    put oem 05+ fender flares on and paint the bottom factory tan color along with flares.
    05+ grill, harley headlights and bumper if i can get a good deal

Now the engine:
    egr delete
    Ford oil cooler
    River City EGR delete kit
    Remove the ford gold coolant and put in Cat ec-1 certified coolant
    Ford STC fitting and blue spring kit
    Flo Pro exhaust
    and maybe some tunes and ARP studs if the gaskets go.
    "most of those mod idea are from "Mark13", but i did research them also."

Right now the main thing is to get it running correctly. Also i think the FICM needs to be replaced.

Will update as progress continues.
    thoughts, opinions, and helpful people are greatly appreciated.

Heres a pic, more shortly
    [​IMG]

2. willie07

willie07 Junior Member

C/K th (ficm) fuel injector control modual voltage it should be 48 volt. If it is lower than it is junk. There are a few companys that make new ones. I would do fuel filter both of them, upgrade fuel spring. See how it runs after that. Get a scan tool that can disable injectors to see if one is bad.

3. durafish

from 02919

Where's the second fuel filter. I know thats a stupied question.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Drivers side frame rail just behind or under the back of the cab...wear clothes you don't care about when you go to do it!

5. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

One on the frame under drivers seat, one on top of the engine. The FICM is repairable by yourself if you are good with a soldering iron. Important with the Powerstroke is battery voltage, gotta have good battery's. The 48 v on the FICM is correct, however, the symptom you describe is the other way around when the FICM is bad. It'll run like dog crap till it warms up. I'm going to guess that once you remove the current STC fitting from the HPOP and install the new one, that should help. I would also check the dummy plug O'rings under the valve covers. I think you might be losing oil pressure once the oil thins from warming. Usually, you get a hot no start when the fitting is real bad. It may be just on its way out. Also, when you take the turbo out to do your coolers etc..it would be a good idea to split it and clean the unison ring and vanes with a cookie tool. The vanes stick from sitting/rust and will cause lack of power. I have Fords IDS software and I am capable if you need any scan tool help.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was hoping you'd chime in. We have the Ford IDS here as well but your a whole lot closer then we are. It's amazing what you can do with the IDS that a normal scanner can't. Makes the 6.0's so much easier to diagnose.

7. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Current project...6.4 with broken manifold studs. I'd trade this for a 6.0 project...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. durafish

from 02919

haha lol. Any chance you have links to some kits that i would need?

9. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I had a brain fart last night. Your 03 does not have the leaking STC fitting. It has a completely different style pump. Using a scan tool, look at the PIDS for ICP and IPR. If ICP is calling for 1800psi and IPR is only providing 1300 then you might have a bad pump or a leak somewhere. Idle should be around 24% IPC and 800 psi IPR. Otherwise you might have injector issues. 03's are known for breaking apart.

As far as kits, I bought everything from Bulletproofdiesel.com. Tell em what you want, what you have, and they will hook you up.

10. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

So why did the bolts snap off? Looks like it has a little rust, but not a ton?

11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I had mass diesel do my 6.0. I blew my gasket towing a skid last winter. I did ARP's new factory gaskets, updated stc, blue spring kit, turbo drain lines, custom livewire with RCD tunes, a new factory oil cooler, and a RCD edge delete. Probably some other stuff I forgot

12. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

It had a lot more rust/rot. I've cleaned the surfaces up with a disc in that pic. The truck does a lot of sitting for long periods. First time I've seen it on a 6.4. If it had 5.4 in it, those come in every week just about. I attached a pic of the studs...broke clean off at the head. Two studs broken on both sides of the engine...hole 3 and 8

[​IMG]

13. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

guys egr delete can be done with a freeze out plug and a welder for under 5 bucks and mine was done like this and has been flawless for 15000 and counting. im not saying its the right way but for me hammering a plug in then putting 1/4 of weld on top of it was much more cost affective and if i ever get a road side check the cooler and valve are still there and functioning just not hot exhaust gasses to cause problems. take it with a grain of salt as im no pro like 07psd just a guy that loves his 6.0 and tinkering with it

14. durafish

from 02919

I heated something about that. What exactly needs to be done?

15. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I wouldn't do a plug only. If you do a block off plate you should do a full delete. Do it once and do it right. Don't half as it

16. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

I hammered a 34-36 mm freeze out plug into each end of the cooler recesses it about a 1/4 of an inch. Then fill the plug up with weld. the reason for the plug is to catch the weld as the freeze out plug alone would melt with high egts. a 1/4 of weld has been good for my hard 15000 miles iv put on my truck since doing my studs gaskets and bigger turbo.

17. durafish

from 02919

Ok thanks. Right now it won't even start. I started and ran good then bad then. Shut it off then on and ran great for 30 sec reved it too about 1000rpms and it was great. I gave it a quick wash to see rust and now it won't even start. I'm going to start by changing the filters then go from there.
    There's a good amount of rust/rot on bed so I gotta get a new one. Anyone have one? I don't want to patch because the floor has holes anling with behind tires. The rest is good just chips that are starting to rust

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  18. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I ain't no pro...lol, I'm surprised you don't get a CEL with P0401 or at least a soft code having the system plugged...? Are you running a tuner?
    I would've deleted on my own truck myself but at the time I didn't have my SCT and I was affraid of not being able to pass the MASS state inspection with a code showing.

19. durafish

from 02919

Here are a few pic after i washed and went to move it then died, lol. While is was chill-in there i put the back rack on, looks good. The bed is pretty much gone looks OK now but a few months and holes in both sides. the rest isnt bad besides the corners but those are easy just painting it is going to be hard. Any opinions on the scangaugeII?
    Also thanks to "07PSDCREW" i got an oasis report, which wasnt good but now i know more about this truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. durafish

from 02919

pass side door
    [​IMG]
    Cab corner drivers side
    [​IMG]
    Behind pass rear tire