1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 problems / please advise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hatchetman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. hatchetman

hatchetman Junior Member

Ok, Ive got a '05 f350 super duty 6.0 / 4x4 / automatic w/ 135,000 miles. Im getting intermitent lack of power. when I stomp on it it seems to have the power but when I get up to cruising speed; say above 45, I get this intermitent loss of power. Upon slight acceleration it seems worse but when I stomp on it I dont feel it. Now for the smoke. When it idles for a period; and sometimes at a long stop light, upon acceleration it looses almost all power and heavy blue smoke and it may take a city block untill it must get it out of its system and then suddenly takes off. My mechanic replaced the fuel filters and it made no difference. Now Im told to run a few tanks of fuel with an injector cleaner product to see if there's any improvement. Anyone had this problem? Please advise and thanks in advance.
    HATCHETMAN

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Sell and get a Cummins. No more engine problems.

3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

....Now ur just being naughty! LOL

4. hatchetman

hatchetman Junior Member

been there; done that. Thanks for the advise but I was really hoping for some real advise-----H

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

hehehehehehe xysport

6. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

maybe an injector O ring leaking?

8. matt418235

matt418235 Junior Member

your problem is that the egr valve is getting stuck open. i am a ford tech work on these piese of **** all day long and i know my **** as well. the valve get gummed up and then get stuck at a stupid spot and causes loss of power and a blue or white smoke out the pipe. have the valve changed and have the intake flushed with the bg flush kit. after all that run cetane buster every time you fill the tank. that iw what it sounds like by your description of what it is doing.

9. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I hear alot of bad thing sbaout the 6.0 ltr motors, but some people love them.

Im looking at a 2008 f350, with a 6.4 diesel, 80,000 kms

Any advice as in buy it or dont ?

10. matt418235

matt418235 Junior Member

i have had to build 3 motors that blew up. ford wouldnt give a hole motor. i had to piece one together for each one. the run and have power. most common issue is radiators and egr coolers. horrible fuel milage though. to me that is the biggest down fall to a 6.4 and if it is stick shift it will be a dog and seem to have hardly any power. the automatics just seem to run a lot better. what would 80000 kms be in milage for us in the states.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Pull the EGR and clean it. Easy feat. Try that and get back to us.

Aside from that it may be FICM or injector related. Any hard cold starts or anything like that?

12. matt418235

matt418235 Junior Member

i checked this site out and yes it holds true for gas motors but not for todays newer diesels. they are a completely different animal of a complete different breed. the following smoke colors are fo a 6.0 ford diesel.

white = egr valve issues, coolant,dripping injectors,fuel pressure issues.

black= overfueling, egr issues, stuck open injector, turbo issues.

blueish color= oil consumption, egr issue.

13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I vote for a plugged EGR as well. If you live in an area that doesn't do diesel emissions, get the EGR delete kit.

14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you might have a leaking O-Ring on a injector, then Check the Egr and like you were told delete it if you do not have emissions. Could also be the variable vanes sticking on the turbo but the "USUALLY" will not cause much blue smoke. The 6.0's have there Issues but I have had my share and I like them.

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Your right, you will have the best motor put in a 3/4-1 ton..... Wrapped in a Tin can. And backed by a under built transmission.
    If you read my sig you can tell I am a Cummins fan, but the dodge truck is not my cup of tea.
    Robert

16. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

17. damian

damian Senior Member

sounds like your egr valve is sticking,scan the ecm and retrieve codes diag these first. it really sounds like thr egr is hanging up,remove the valve located at the front of the intake manifold,unbolt it and pry it out with a couple of rollling head bars.clean the carbon and muck out of it and reinstall. good luck.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

19. OHSIX6OH

OHSIX6OH Junior Member
    from Maine

I am with everyone else pointing to the EGR needing a good cleaning.If your going to tackle it yourself get new O-rings and gasket from Ford about 13 bux.And follow the instructions here http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-12.php
    Sometimes they can be real stubborn to get out .The pictures are of a do it yourself removal tool .
    egr2.jpg

egr1.jpg

egr3.jpg

egr2.jpg

egr1.jpg

egr3.jpg

20. OHSIX6OH

OHSIX6OH Junior Member
    from Maine

LOL They all have their problems ..Cummins Vp44 injection pump failures :rolleyes:Weak trannys payup just to name a few of many .