1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Slicer Al, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Slicer Al

Slicer Al Junior Member
    from WI

I am starting to look for a 3/4 ton. I would like to make the move to a diesel but have not decided yet.

I have been hearing alot of bad things about the 6.0 Powerstroke. Are there any good stories? I have found a 2005 6.0 powerstroke, crewcab, with 60, 000 miles for $19000.

Did Ford fix the problems after a certain year or are all 6.0s bad?
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

You still have some engine warranty on that truck. 5 year, 100,000 miles. You dont even have to do anything to transfer the warranty, it just stays with the VIN. I just bought a 05 6.0, and I love it. I think most of the bugs were out by late 05-06, but alot of times the guys who have problems with them are the ones who are chiping them and trying to get 500 hp out of them. JMO Though
  3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

mine did have some problems when i bought it now that theyre all fixed i love it it runs great and has plenty of power, no need to chip.
    just dont abuse it and you will be fine. also it has the warranty which will cover just about anything engine related untill it expires
  4. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I have had 3 of them including an '03 which everyone claims was the worst possible engine ever built. I ran all of them up to about 100,000 with NO problems at all. Mine were all kept 100% stock also. If you're not sure, have an oasis report run on the engine at a Ford dealership and it will give you a history of the engine which may point you to the fact if it is a problem engine or not.
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Ah yes. Get an Oasis report too. You can get one at the ford dealer, or you can go to ford-trucks.com and request one in the 6.0 Forum and someone will email you one.
  6. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I have three of them, a 04, 06 and 07.

All great trucks. 04 went to the dealer once, something related to the turbo. They fixed it and cleaned the turbo and EGR, etc.. and had it back to me in a day.

My 07 has the most miles with 37,000 miles on it. Love the truck, tows, hauls and plows great.

05+ has the benefit of the coil spring front suspension (you can upgrade to 7000lb coils if needed), better turning radius than 99-04, bigger brakes, bigger/better unit bearings, etc. Upfitter switches and the Tow Command with the integrated trailer brake controller were options in the 05+ which are very nice if the truck has them.
    The 05+ also have higher GVWRs than the 99-04 SDs. i.e. my SRW F-350 has a GVWR of 11,400lbs vs my 01 SRW F-350 which a GVWR of 9900lbs.

In all the PSDs they run better in my experience with our six 7.3s and three 6.0s on either Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel Oil or Mobil Delvac diesel oil.
    All of my trucks run better/quieter and start better in the cold now on the Valvoline vs. when I ran Rotella.
  7. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Got two, EGR on the 06 but thats about it, nothing was wrong with the truck was just putting out a little too much black smoke so they replaced it. I would get an 06 or newer though bugs were worked out by then.
  8. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I have an '05 and 2 '06 (see sig) and all are working great (knock on wood). The only issue I had was with the '05 and a perpetual small (quarter size) oil leak that they finally found and fixed but all under warranty. Good motor IMO. Works hard with 5 ton in the dumps and towing a 5 ton CAT behind not a problem. Fuel milage is about 10-12 mpg (not bad for a 5 ton truck empty).
  9. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

All the bugs were out by late '05. Got an '06 with 32k put 11k on it. Big'olTurbowhistle included.

Remember , real trucks dont have spark plugs!

11-11-08 023.jpg
  10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

11. Slicer Al

Slicer Al Junior Member
    from WI

Thanks for all the input, it helps alot.