1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 powerstroke?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by blee1ash, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I'm thinking of updating my truck. I found several used 6.0 powerstrokes, but some of the stroies about the 6.0 have me scared. What problem areas should I look for, and are certain years better than others? Have the updates and recalls taken care of the problems?

2. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

i have the first year 6.0 and love it ! it has had its problems! but i would buy an one in a heart beat! if u can find a good mechanic like i did its not as bad! the 2006 6.0 is the best out there from what im told! check out powerstrokehelp.com and watch the videos maybe he can help too!

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i drive one and only one problem, and that is a new alternator which i got last month

4. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

on my second alternator in a year, but as my mechanic told me it wasnt the alternator it was a bad battery! so that sucked !

5. ajslands

hey fire dawg my diesel is newer than your diesel! lol. jk. but yea to the op some are good and some are bad, so you just have to get a good one and alwasy rember to plug it in on cold nights,

6. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

thats funny i just had to replace that too! im lucky my truck didnt burn down from the block heater, it was so hot i couldnt even touch the hose on the engine. i hope i found the right one! the only thing is it sat on the dealers lot for a year before i bought it ! and i bought it when diesel was 5.00 a gallon! i got a great deal! it only has 88000 miles and the mechanic says it will go an easy 200,000 miles as long as he keeps his eyes on it! hahahaha

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

get an oasis report and if it checks out ok your good. theres a ton of aftermarket upgrades to solve all the common problems. id stick with the 05-07 they seem to be better.

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

u guys sure trust your mechanic. IMO you are the person who drives it, you are the decider to how long it will last. The mechanic just likes seen you come back putting more money in his pocket.

9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

05 and up and oasis...do a search there is a million and half threads about this

10. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I have an 04 with 57,000miles been a great truck and motor.

11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I have an 03 that I'm quite happy w/ so far. I've had it about 19 months and it's been a beast to plow w/.

Like firedawg mentioned, check out powerstroke.com. The guy puts out some great info on the powerstrokes. Here's a discussion on the 6.0 :

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RW7JEHLYyJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RW7JEHLYyJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

Thanks for the help.

13. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I have a 2006 6.0 Powerstroke about to hit 50,000 miles. Not one problem, lots of power. Starts even on the coldest mornings in about 2 seconds. Love it. Not sure I would get anything later model than an 06.

14. ajslands

D@/\/\ you guys dot drive your trucks anywhere! I have a 04 with 103000, got it at 88k so 15k a year

15. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

there are always exceptions to rules!:drinkup:

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been looking at these trucks myself for the last month or so and its fairly easy to tell which ones were taken care of and will last compared to the beat ones. After driving them I'm hooked and am dieing to pull the trigger. Just do some research and purchase an extended warranty from Ford if its still below 100k "just in case"-diesel parts are expensive.

17. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

We just replace a turbo in one of our 06's...$1500 total, $900 parts, $600 labor. 35,000 mi. It still didnt fix it completely.

18. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have a 03 bought it new 23 miles on it now 160,000 put new injectors in @ about 80,000 and then the normal stuff plow is 9' 2" boss nothing like plowing and not loosing any power. i also have 95 with a 5.8 love this truck but never would go back to gas i pull the doze and a backhoe all summer long and have never been disappointed with it.

19. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

Wouldn't that have been covered under your 100K factory warranty?

I have an '06 and just triped over 75K. It's been a great truck but you have to stay on top of the maintenance or they will bite you in the a$$ ;)

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For those who say the 06-07 6.0s are good and not much worry there are still bad ones out there. I drove an 06 6.0 F350 with a Boss V on it for one winter, when it ran it was very nice and plowed well. To bad it was broke more then not. Both the trucks owner and I took care of it, didn't run it into the ground, let it warm up before taking off down the road, etc. I used to see it on a flatbed about once or twice a month heading to be fixed. Had around 50k on it and as far as I'm concerned it was junk. Only F350 I've driven that I wished was a 5.4 or 6.8 because it probably would have been 100% reliable. Nothing like going outside at 2am and praying that it would start and stay running thru the whole route.

On the other hand, the farm I work at has an 05 6.0 F350 with about 62k on it, been pretty good with very few problems, it's worked pretty hard, lots of short trips on a cold motor, quite a bit of idle time, some heavy loads behind it, etc.

If it was me I'd be pretty cautious unless you want to spend some money and do head studs, egr delete, exhaust, and a tuner. They still worry me though, if the 05 was the only one I had experience with I'd buy one but after the 06 I'm still a bit afraid.