1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brwn234, May 29, 2011.

1. brwn234

brwn234 Junior Member
    from VA

My 2005 2500 w/ 6.0 overheats while idleing in very warm weather. It will creep up slowly and the AC will also get warm. I replaced the water pump and thermostat because it was leaking. I replaced the fan clutch because it ran warm with my plow. I never noticed the problem until the summer after I installed the new parts, but I'm assuming it's just a coincidence. The radiator is clear on the outside. How can I tell if it may be clogged inside? Any other ideas what may be my prob? thanks

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

One way to check for a possible clogged radiator is feel for real hot spots and cold spots after you shut the truck off. Just run your hand around the surface of the radiator. Could be you got some air in the system when you did the thermostat and water pump

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Seems obvious and you probably did, but did you do a full coolant flush and fill? You probably did when you did the water pump, but sometimes what someone thinks is obvious isn't to someone else.

I know my heater core plugged up solid a few years ago with crap from some Dex cool that had been in there for too long. In order to get it all out I had to backflush the core by running a garden hose into the output hose on the core. Looked like used coffee grounds coming out of there. Just a thought, but maybe drain the whole system and backflush each component separately, there is likely a plug of something in there somewhere interrupting the flow of coolant.

Have you done anything lately like add an oil cooler or transmission cooler or anything that seels like it should be fine but could be getting in the way of the proper flow of fresh air through the radiator?

Is the coolant fan running properly since you changed the fan clutch? Maybe its not kicking on like its supposed to?

4. damian

damian Senior Member

are you sure the fan is working,i know you replaced the fan clutch,but you need to scan the ecm for codes and make sure the fan is being commanded to work by the ecm.does the heat get cold or does it blow warm as the engine heats up,if you have a programmer installed you may have joined the ranks of the blown head gasket crowd,but usually you notice compression leakage into cooling system at hi engine loads.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

sorry disregard my post i thought it was 6.0 ford diesel i misread

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

When's the last time you flushed the crud from the fins on the radiator and condenser? I try to do this every year using a wand, and it never fails to amaze me the amount of crud that comes out. :eek:

7. tonybands

tonybands Member

overheating

Check your motor mounts. Put truck in forward w/brakes applied and have someone watch the movement of the engine while you hit the gas. Try it in revearse as well, if there is ecsesive engine bounce then chances are your fan is slightly touching the radiator shroud not alowing it to spin properly. "From the voice of experience". Good luck

8. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

i know you installed a new fan clutch but chek it again. I have gotten bad ones befrore, The symptoms seem like thats the culprit.

9. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

over heating

Install a extreme duty water pump and clutch. Replace the thermostat with a good one. Problem solved.:mechanic: