1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 oil pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay my 00 2500 has 181k on it and I have been noticing weak pressure as of late. Nothing leaks, gets 5w30 oil, changed every 3, etc. But on first start up, it won't go past 20 then flutters to 40 and that is where it stays. It has dipped below 20 before and I can hear it starving for oil. Just wondering what pump to get and how bad is it to do? Thanks in advance

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ever get a chance to check it with a mechanical gauge Tom?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No I have not. Where would I tap into to use a mechanical gauge?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd want an accurate check before I went through the effort of changing the oil pump, especially in your three season garage....because it's certainly the wrong season for that. :D

Remove the OP sender to attach your mechanical gauge there. The sender is at the rear of the intake near the firewall, should be facing straight up. You'll need an adapter fitting to connect an 1/8" pipe thread gauge (as most are) and for that you'll need an M16x1.5 male to 1/8" pipe female adapter and then you can adapt from there depending on what you're using for a gauge.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I will do that once it gets over 10 degrees here lol. If it is the pump I'm gonna try to baby it till spring or have it done which will be big $$$ I'm sure. What kind of pressure should I be looking for when I do this?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer to see 15 PSI minimum at hot idle and 30-40 PSI in the cruising range consistently. If it's inconsistent then it isn't a pump issue, it needs the O-ring on the pickup tube replaced. If it's just low overall then it does need an oil pump.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Can I test this while driving it or should I let it sit and put the throttle at different rpms?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either way you wish...or both.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Ok good. What rpms are ideal for checking it? Never did this before, just want to do this right?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check it hot at idle in gear, then around 2000 RPM also.

Then on the carpet too since I know you enjoy that part so much. :D

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are those number acceptable for all the Chevy engines?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Define "all".

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

V8 gassers. Are there any other kinds?

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Ok test is done. The air temp was 26 when I did this. 20-25psi cold start up, 1000 rpms. In gear cold, 30psi, 600 rpm. Hot idle 30 psi.
    In gear hot, 30psi. Park 2000 rpm hot, 45psi. Floor 65-70psi. Held no less than 40psi while driving.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not in your world apparently. :p

20-25psi cold @ 1000rpm but 30psi cold in gear at 600rpm? :confused:

The rest of your specs are excellent with 180K on the clock.

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The 1000 rpm cold was right after start up and it holding high idle then it calms down to 600

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then throwing out your initial cold start numbers it's about as perfect as you could ask Tom. What lead you to suspect an oil pressure problem in the first place?

18. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How you know it was starving for oil? Was it cold start or hot run you heard noise?

20-25 psi COLD at 1K rpm that strange. My Trucks with oil pressure would start at 60 psi cold when hot it drop to 30-40 psi until it worn out then 1-10 psi. Expect bad ford 5.4L that made 130 psi at hot REV due sludge clogged oil passenger. I know that chevy when start the oil pressure would rocket to 50 psi then slow down to 30-40 that come from 99 Chevy Suburban with 270K miles.

Could be clog oil filter? What brand you use?

19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The dash gauge was reading very low and jumping around a lot. Just had me concerned. Much rather look into it now before it became a major issue

20. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

My wife's '02 Monte Carlo did that (gauge would drop to zero) and it was a defective oil pressure sending unit.
    I have to say, it scared the crap out of us the first time it did it. We were a long way from home in nasty winter driving.