1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 oil pan replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fireside, Jul 25, 2011.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

anyone every change a oil pan on a 2004 ford 6.0 desiel. Mine has rotted out. do i need to remove the motor to change it? Just wondering how big of a job?

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I read that you have to raise the motor a few inches to remove the pan. Getting the new gasket in place can be difficult.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Shocking! Another engine that has oil pans rust out!

4. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

I have a 2000 Chevy K2500 just had oil pan replaced...$800.00...sheeeesh!!!

brian

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

If your handy with a torch and welder i've aslo heard of guys cutting the cross member out for easier removal/installation

6. damian

damian Senior Member

engine removal not needed.remove flywheel cover and engine mounts,i jack the engine up from the ends of the exhaust manifolds and put wood blocks between the motormounts,remove all pan bolts,this is the worst part as they are 8mm heads and rust bad enough to reduce the hex size til no socket fits. drop pan down,reach in and remove the short pick up tube and drop it into the pan,remove pan,if it looks sound,dont remove or disturb the formed press in place rubber gasket, reuse the formed rubber gasket and silicone the front and rear engine cover parting lines use new bolts and reassemble.just so you know it is an 1100.00 job parts and labor in my neck of the woods,ive done plenty.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011