1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 Oil Capacity

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Nov 23, 2008.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It's time for me to do my first oil change on the GMC 6.0L. What oil weight to you guys suggest and what's the quart capacity? Thanks

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It should be 5w30 oil? It say on oil cap

I am not sure it 6 or 7 qts.

3. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

6 quarts with filter. i run 10w30 year round granted my truck are in the heated garage overnight so they are 70 degrees when started. if your truck sits out over night i would go with 5w30.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Haha, I just changed mine. 6 quarts of 5w30 and an AC Delco PF46 filter. I put pennzoil high mileage in mine since it has almost 130k on it. I run either Kendall, Mobil 1 or Pennzoil. Do not use 10w30 in the 6.0 That engine absolutley hates it and runs the gas mileage down. I know from experience :D

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You could use 10w30 if it have lot miles or worn out.

But better is 5w30 and see if it not burn oil.

I am sure mobil 1 oil is good for this one since I have change oil on Cadillac CTS require mobil 1 5w30 it say on oil cap.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

6 quarts, we use 10w30 year round. If they were my trucks I would use 5w30 in the winter.

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys. 5W30 it will be. It's in an uheated garage/barn or outside all the time, so I'll run the 5w30.