1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 Noise with plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ajordan193, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

I've been experiencing a louder noise coming from the engine while traveling with my plow on. The truck is an 06 powerstroke with an 8.6 xtreme v. Seems to happen after the truck is warm. The noise reminds me of when you first drive a cold vehicle and the engine is louder than usual until it warms up. Thoughts?

2. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

could be the fan, usually when im out plowing for a while my fan comes on, and its loud

3. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Do you change you oil/ fuel filters regularly?

4. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

I have not changed anything yet since i just purchased the truck over a month ago. Only has 21k and I installed the plow.

5. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Where the heck did you find an 06 with only 21k??? :drinkup:
    Is this your first 6.0? Mine is pretty loud even after it warms up.

6. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

im pretty sure your talking about the fan. does it get louder as the engine revs?...i also have an 06 250 with the 6.0l and heard this the other day for the first time since i bought it when i had the plow on it. got me at first cause i never heard it before but quickly realized it was just the fan.

7. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks guys for all the info. Just wanted to make sure nothing seriously was wrong as I am nervous about the 6.0 after hearing all the horror stories. I purchased the truck from Virginia with 18,600k on it.

8. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

ive owned a 7.3 a 6.0 and a6.4 they all do this. just pay attention to the temp gauge dont let it get too high

9. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

The biggest killer of the 6.0 is just poor maintenance. Make sure you get oil changes and fuel filters on a regular basis. Check out powerstrokehelp.com TONS of useful information on how to keep your 6.0 going strong for many years to come.