1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 no power

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay my 2000 Chevy 2500 6.0 4L80E trans, has no go when you hit the gas. I floor it, the trans downshifts but the truck almost like it winds up and nothing. Let off the gas, it drops real hard in rpms then goes. I had to floor it to make it hit 45 in less than 8 minutes, lol. The tranny shifts just fine, as it is newer and has like 30k miles on it. The truck its self has 111,000 miles. I just put new exhaust manifold gaskets and put new plugs/wires as well. It does this off and on sometimes. I will park it, then go run it after a few hours and it acts like a sports car. Other times a complete turd. I dont get it. Dont get me wrong, I dont drive it like an a-hole, but it would be nice to have power to pass on the freeway or for that matter be able to reach speed on the highway while merging. And no it isnt shooting any trouble codes or idiot lights, so you tell me?? I can add any more info if necessary or try to explain it better

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Throttle position sensor...now go down a few threads and tell me what's wrong with my truck - lol

3. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Do you have any rattling in the exhaust system? (converter internals turning sideways)

4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Plugged fuel filter?

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Not that I know of. I had the exhaust off when I put the flowmaster on and the cats seemes fine. But I am no expert on those. Havent really heard any noise from them though. It did rattle a little when I first got it, but went away. I am starting to think that it could be a poop fuel filter.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Okay so I drove it today like an ass. Here is what I found: Goes real good up to 3,000 rpm then it like bogs and the trans has like a whine to it, almost like something is holding it back. Let off the accelorator and hit it again, shifts the gear and goes up to 3,000 rpm and loses it again. I have never dealt with this before. Like it loses any mid and top end power and holds the gear it is in. Almost like some rubber bands winding up then letting loose. But from a dead stop to 3,000 rpm, it roasts the tires real nice, lol:D Again, I dont normally drive like this, but I wanted to test it and watch when it falls on its face. And it was the best way

7. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Your exhaust could be clogged at the cat had it happen to my Jeep. I am not a mechanic thou TOM I am a landscaper. LOL Be like Ron and get a FORD. :>

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey Josh dont feel bad, I am just a lawnguy too, lol. But I dont mind wrenching on my truck when it needs it. I tell you what, that 250 holds that 8ft Fisher like a toy. I am gonna look at Ford and Chevy when it comes time for new

9. WALKERS

Yes it probably does he needs to move up to a big BOSS. :waving:

10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

start it up run it if your cats clogged it will glow red hot. now if it was me id look at my wires 2 see if any are on my engine block iv had that happen. Then id look at my fuel injectors

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

How long would I need to run it before the cats would turn red?? The wires are new and not even close to touching the engine, since they are only 6 inches long a piece. Injectors are new from 06 installed by GM

12. kashman

20 min is long enough

13. WALKERS

Run some of that fuel injector cleaner through it next time you get some of that expensive Flammable stuff. LOL

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Kash, thanks. I will try that out here in a little bit. Easier to see it at night anyways.

Josh, I am going to run some thru it, after I throw a new fuel filter in first

15. kashman

no prob get 2 put a gas tank on the chevy tomorrow dame 34 gall is a big tank . I got all the guts 2 so its just drop old put up new

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Gas tanks are always fun.....not, lol. Did you get the new straps and what not with it?? Hope it is empty or close to empty

17. kashman

ya hope it all gos well im going 2 have the old lady help she dont know it yet

gas tank.JPG

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That will be a nice suprise for her, lol:D

19. kashman

ya we work 2 gather soooooooo wellllllllllllllllll:rolleyes:

20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

just an idea get a 14 plate and a piece strait pipe no e check no cat..yes i'm a red neck or hillbilly