1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 mileage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bikes and Guns, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Bikes and Guns

Bikes and Guns Junior Member

Realistically what kind of mileage could I expect from a 6.0 in a 2500HD? I currently drive a 1500 with the all aluminum 5.3 and 4.10s and get between 16 and 18 mpg. I'm sure I won't touch those numbers with the 6.0 but is 14-15 mpg possible? I tend to drive very conservatively so this helps. Does the 5-speed tranny help any? Are you guys happy with the power that the 6.0 provides?

Thanks everyone

2. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

13-14 possible 12 about average. It isn't the 6.0 getting such bad milage it is the weight of the truck. The HD is a heavy truck for heavy work. Your 1500 gets better milage because it is over 1000lbs lighter. Your 1500 will also be much quicker. I remember an old drag racing theory that every 100lbs you lose cuts .1sec off the ET.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

very happy with the power of the 6.0.... mine gets good mileage, it only burns about two tanks of gas per year. xysport

4. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

12 mpg is about what i'm getting and I drive conservatively also. The 2500HD is alot heavier. My previous truck was an 04 1500 reg cab sb with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears(i think) and I was getting around 16 mpg in the city and 19-20 mpg highway. In my 2500HD, doing 55mph the rpms are around 2k. Anything higher than that and the mpg goes down. At least that's what i've noticed. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Good luck! :D

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I got 14.5 mpg on my last highway trip. I get about 11.5 in town. I am also running the Predator programmer set on the 87 octane tune as well. Depending on which gears you get also depends on milage.

Will

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If your want the millage.. Get the Duramax! I love mine !

7. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Thats what Im gettingwesport payup :dizzy: !!. The 6.0 mileage sucks!
    James

8. Bikes and Guns

How was that reg cab with the 5.3 and 3.73s? Pretty quick I bet. I've been wanting to drive one of those.

Anyways the 6.0 milage is worse than I thought. What rpms are you psuhing going say 70 or 75 mph?

Thanks

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

diesel comes down in price i would switch

10. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Just got back from a drive 2500rpm at 74mph 410 gears. It would be the same rpms you are pushing with your 5.3 and 410s. Its the gears and tire size not the engine that determines the rpm.

11. Bikes and Guns

Are you sure? In my 5.3 w/ 4.10s I am pretty certain that I am at about 2300-2400 rpms. I thought that 4th gear was different between the 4l60 and 4l80 transmissions.

12. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

My bad
    the 4l80 is .75
    the 4l60 is .70

13. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

The 5.3 with the 3.73s was quite snappy off the line and it definetly had some get up and go.

At 70mph, i'm pushin around 2300 rpm and around 25-2600 rpm at 75mph. :cry:

14. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I get anywhere from 8 to 11.5 in the city. That about sums it up!

15. GA73

GA73 Member

just bought a o4 ext cab 2500. its got the flowmaster duals and a k&n air filter. taken it easy been getting 16-17 mpg. have yet to get less then 14 when lead footing it.
    best i could get out of my 00 was 13

16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I was just looking at new trucks. Seems all they have are the diesels. The kicker for me is how to justify the nearly 10k price jump from gas to diesel. When's the pay off....... Factor higher oil changes, price per gallon is nearly equal, life of loan and turck... I just don't see the savings. Although, everyone I hear of likes the motor.

17. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

that is why i didn't buy mine with the duramax. i did some calculations when i bought mine and i would need to drive over 90000 miles just to break even. that was when diesel was cheaper than gas!!! it is a great motor but the 6.0 is all i need to pull my 6000 lb landscape trailer. i've also towed a 10000 lb excavator with little trouble too.

18. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i get 10.1 all of the time no matter how i drive i had a 05 2500 with the 6.0 hated it now i have a 02 8.1L with the allison and i get 15-17 and way more power that thing will thow u back in the seat

still if i had to do it over agin i would buy a d-max they hold there value better