1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 Liter octane??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by andcon83, Jan 9, 2010.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Thumbing through my new owners manual (did you know the damn mirrors are motorized in and out?) and noticed that is recommends if you have a 6.0 Liter to run super...anyone do this and notice a difference:confused:

2. S&S

S&S Junior Member

I have a 03 GMC 6.0 and run reg. But I can tell when I run 93 octane in it. I also have the motorized mirrors, they are nice when pulling a wide trailer.
    Mike

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...What year truck? As far as I recall, my manual (04 GMC) recommends 87 octane for the 6.0.

Same goes for the current trucks. Anything from the 4.8 to the 6.0 is 87 octane recommended.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I almost always run 89 in my truck- after running 87 for 2 years and taking the truck in for injector cleaning, the service manager at my local GM dealer told me to run 89 in it- he said it has less "crud" in it, which caused my injectors to "clog", and caused my CEL to come on (anyone saw my thread from Sept knows what I'm talking about)... for an extra $0.10 or so, it's worth it to me!

5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

2007. It doesn't have the extendo mirrors, they just fold in but its motorized. I have been putting reg in it. I was just curious what everyone else was doing. Thanks for the info!!!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boy you really want to stop listening to that person Matt. Because he's grossly misinforming you. All fuel you purchase of a given brand is refined the exact same as far as cleanliness goes regardless of it's octane rating. Thus the only difference is the octane rating, nothing else. So, if you ended up with dirty injectors then you would have ended up with dirty injectors regardless of the octane rating you purchased. Period.

Its a common misconception that "cheaper" (ie 87 octane) fuel is dirtier or of a lower quality than a higher octane. And it's an unfounded misconception that refuses to die....

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That is a load of B.S.!

See! What he said.

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

The owners manual said that with 87 you might have spark knock and reduced power. Mine seems to be just fine with 87.

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I run the regular -87.. Throw a can once a month of sea foam or techron....

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info- I'll go back to using 87 and see how she does... figures.... BTW- this was a GMC Dealer mechanic manager telling me this :confused:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They don't get their job position based on their knowledge of gasoline refinement. Why would a service writer at a car dealership know about the manufacturing of gasoline? Did he work for an oil company previously?

It's like asking an optometrist how to fix a knee injury. Both of their fields have to do with the human body but one has nothing to do with the other.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Minor details. LOL

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What octane do you run? Do you have a 6.0?

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If I had a 6.0 gasser or any other gasser I would run 89.5 octane. ;)

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I ran 87 all the time in mine with no issue what so ever. But now that it is tuned, I run 92 or 93 since it gets optimal performance with it. I did run 87 in it once with the tune, ran ok, just less power and the mileage was worse. But otherwise regular will do just fine.

16. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I run all three, depends on my mood and wallet and where I am filling up. I always try to run a top tier gasoline

17. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

They are right but for the wrong reasons with a few disclaimers. What B&B said is true for any given brand and even among the brands depending if they have thier own refining and pipe line capability. If you don't have your own dedicated pipeline the gasoline you put in the pipeline in texas may not be the same gasoline that goes in to your tanks in pennsylvania, its more of a put a million gallons in take a million gallons out system. So with that system in mind they refine all gasoline to a minum standard and put the additive package (if any) in down the line.

However among most major gasoline retailers especially top tier ones, the higher the octane the better (and greater quantity) the additives package. There are more detergents in the higher octanes then the lower octanes, its like running seafoam or techron just be filling up. Its been my experience that off brand discount gas stations may not change thier filters or work as hard to keep crud out of thier tanks and there for your tank. It has nothing to do with the octane level

18. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have a custom PCM tune on my truck and it runs fine with regular, but once I fill it up with high octane it really runs awesome and has friggin amazing power. Especially on the highway. I can be going 75 or so and still have enough power to blow by almost anyone.

19. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

Two minutes of searching:

Some vehicle owners believe higher-octane fuel gives a better performance. Higher octane doesn’t give a better performance, and it’s unnecessary. If, you’re trying to save on fuel costs, you may consider using regular gasoline instead of premium. Regular gasoline gives the same performance at a lower price. So, when trying to save on fuel cost, it pays to use the required octane level for your vehicle.

Vehicle owners have made the mistake of believing that higher octane gives gasoline a better performance. Most engines are designed to take regular unleaded gasoline, which has an octane level of 87. Using higher octane doesn’t improve performance. Actually, octane has nothing to do with the gasoline’s performance, just its volatility factor in the combustion chamber. The higher the octane, the more stable the gas in the combustion chamber environment. Higher-octane fuel is only needed for high performance cars. High performance cars need higher-octane gasoline, because the combustion chamber environment is much hotter. Experts from the Automobile Association of America (AAA) say about five percent of cars sold in the US require premium gasoline. Yet, premium gasoline accounts for 20 percent of all gasoline sold in the US.

If your car does not require higher-octane gas, then you shouldn’t buy it. Sometimes the lower octane may be too low for your car and the mid grade or higher octane may be more than what you need. To avoid overpaying and still get the correct octane for your car, you can mix the gas. For example, if your car takes 87 octane and the pumps have 85 octane and 89 octane, then when filling your car, fill half the tank with 85 octane and the other half with 89 octane and this will give you an equivalent of 87 octane. Check your owner’s manual to see what fuel octane rating your engine needs. Drivers should use the octane level your vehicle’s manufacture recommends. Buying higher-octane fuel is a waste of money. Higher-octane fuel pollutes more, and it costs more. It’s always smarter to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation on the level of octane to use.

People believe buying the “premium” will make their cars run better, but it makes your engine run hotter, and can cause more harm than good. In most of the U.S., regular gas has an octane rating of 87, mid grade is 89, and premium is 91 or 92. Using high-octane fuel reduces pre-ignition in the upper regions of the combustion chamber, which can damage valves, and pistons if allowed to go for long periods of time. Resist buying higher-octane gas for premium performance. It can cause other problems to your engine. Using higher-octane gas, when it’s not required could force some drivers to pay for unnecessary repairs. A “knock” or “ping” occurs when part of the fuel-air mixture in one or more of your car's cylinders ignite spontaneously due to compression, independent of the combustion initiated by the spark plug. If your car runs poorly or “pings” on the grade of gas recommended, it may need servicing, rather than using a higher grade of gas. If switching to high octane improves mileage, it may mean that your engine, or its control system needs repair.

Does High Octane Gas Give More Power?

No. Unless your car is explicitly designed for high octane gas (see your car's manual), using a high octane gas will NOT improve the power output of your engine. Again, the octane rating relates to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, but NOT directly to how much energy the gas puts out.

Exception 1 - By Design

One exception is with engines or cars designed for high octane gas. In that case, using high octane gas WILL improve performance and mileage. The reason has to do with the compression and ignition timing characteristics of the engine. Those specially designed engines will only perform efficiently with higher octane gas. Most engines are not designed this way.
    Exception 2 - Engine Knocking

The second exception is if your car has a lot of engine knocking or pinging. This is a sign that the gas is not igniting when it should. This reduces the power and efficiency of the engine. Assuming your car's manual says it's okay, using a high octane gas can help. Does High Octane Gas Reduce Engine Knocking?

Yes! If anything, high octane gas will help reduce engine knocking in most cars (assuming your car's manual says it's okay to use such a gas). The reason follows from the fact that octane is related to how much energy is needed to ignite the gas. If the gas ignites too easily, it can ignite before it's suppose to, which causes the engine knocking or pinging sound. Using high octane gas can reduce and even eliminate that knocking, and help your engine run more efficiently.
    Conclusion

In most cases there is no reason to use and pay for expensive high octane gas. Unless your car was designed for such gas:

* High octane gas does NOT improve gas mileage
    * High octane gas does NOT improve power output

Exceptions: If your car is explicitly designed for high octane gas, use it. If your car has engine knocking problems (and your car manual says it's okay), using high octane gas may reduce the knocking.

20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank You for taking the time to post this....
    I know a few people that need to read this ....
    Because they are premium using DUMB !!!!