1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 L mileage improvements ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bullseye, Feb 2, 2010.

1. bullseye

bullseye Member

Just bought a '06 GMC 1500hd. :) Looking at doing some improvements for performance and mileage.It's got a gas 6.0 L engine with 3.73 gears. What have you guys done for this ????
    1) cold air intake ??
    2) programmer ??
    3) exhaust ??
    I still want the truck to sound and preform better than stock. And yes I know driving like a granny will improve mileage but I just want to improve things so its a little easier on fuel and be able to pull my trailers just a little better !! Let me know !! Thanks !!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two words, custom tune. Do a little searching here using those keywords and you'll find a few threads on the subject already.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Yep, custom tune is about the only thing you're gonna get anything useful out of. Its a 6.0 in a heavy duty truck...be glad if you get 13, most of us don't. Those 3.73 gears are a huge help though.

i've heard guys getting upwards of 15mpg in a 6.0 after a custom tune. YMMV.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I wont delve into it deeply as there are plenty of threads now with the info there. But I have all the upgrades you are looking to do, and it will help a bunch!!! Mine is tuned thru Nelson Performance. Very good people to deal with and have very good support. Just kinda stinks they are all the way in Texas. I also recommend going with a set of under drive pulleys as well. Seems like a very popular upgrade the guys do on these trucks on the Chevy sites I roam.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

If you think you're getting bad mileage, try a 2500HD with the 4.10 gears- then you'll really be hurting for fuel lol... remember- we don't buy trucks for their fuel mileage :laughing:

I drive like a granny 90% of the time, and I'm lucky to squeeze 12.5 MPG on the highway

6. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I honestly got 17 mpg in my 09 HD last fall. 3.73 gears. Truck had about 3K miles on it.
    The trip was All highway, it was a 2 hour drive at around 65 to 70 mph.
    Reset everything on the fill up and calculated it as I was driving and also compared it when I did a fill up.

I noticed there is about a 3% error consistently in what the ECM says the trucks fuel used is and what the pump says.
    It was consistently 15 to 16 mpg until towards the end of the run it went over 17 mpg. Throw in the error factor and it was a solid 17.

I will have to search for the mods to see if I can improve my mileage. I was told that if you mod the ECM that is will void the warranty on the engine. To me that is not worth better MPG

Am I mislead on this?

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't get how the 5.3 guys can claim 20mpg in the 1500's but the 6.0 gets much worse. I understand its a heavier truck, and .7 liters bigger of an engine, but they are a very similar engine (basically the same from what I understand).

B&B any info you can share?

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

B&B will be able to shed more light on this than I, but I believe it's really the 4.10 gearing that kills the MPG's- GREAT for torque, but bad for MPG's...

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

On a custom tuned ECM, the tune is actually locked, so no one can screw with it or find it. Not unless the guy with the scanner really knows what he is looking for. I could be wrong with the newer trucks though.
    The 6.0 shares the same block, except it is bored out bigger and I believe they share the same heads. The cam is different and a few other internal parts. The 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 (97 newer vette, camaro, trans am) and the 6.0 are all based on the LS1 design. All of the parts can interchange between the engines except for pistons, connecting rods and some other small details.

10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Does the tune void any warranty? I can get 15mpg with mine doing a constant 50-55mph. All stock with 4.10s.

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You can do those mods, but don't expect very much improvement. They will help a little. I usually do the exhaust not because I want more power or fuel economy but because I like the sound. Remember the more power you make the more fuel it takes. One more thing you could do to help your fuel economy is change to synthetic fluids.

12. bullseye

bullseye Member

Thats what I kind of thought!! I do agree with the synthetic fluid change over, I had planned on that already. I did that in my Avalanche and I think it helped.Now for the loaded question ..... What brand of syn. fluids ??? Diff ?? Tranmission and transfer case?? Engine?? I used Mobil 1 in the Ava but is there something better ??? GM uses Mobil 1 in alot of their vehicles but should a guy use something different?? why???
    Has any one tried AFE cold air intake with the dry filter ??? ( I don't really care for K&N) I did try "Tru Flow" filter in my truck I had before my Ava. I liked it but don't know if it helped with anything(mileage or preformance).
    Keep me informed as I want to start buying some of this stuff soon !!

'

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

A cold air intake just makes a bunch of noise under the hood on a stock truck. A tune will do 10x more than any bolt ons will do. I would suggest doing all your little add ons, then put a tune in. Putting a bunch of parts on these new trucks is about worthless unless you actually get the thing tuned for them. I gained easily 4-5 mpg just on the tune alone. Plus the firmness of the trans shifts and the power gains are more than worth it. I can light the tires on the 1-2 shift with no issue now. It will make that 5500 lb truck feel like it is a 2000 lb sports car, well at least mine does.

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Original tires?

15. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Just subscribing to this becuase I will be interested in what is all said. Mine is not horrible on gas but its not good either. Like mkwl said I don't buy trucks for fuel mileage but to work them

16. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes the truck was brand new. It only had 3k miles. I only have 5200 on it now.
    You think the tires have something to do with the 3% error?

17. bluefishbob

bluefishbob Junior Member
    from erie pa

09 2500 HD. love my gm built 6 speed auto. 17-18 on hghwy if im not on the gas.......

18. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I would get Royal Purple. I might cost more, but I think it is worth it.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

20. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Program Tunner

No matter what it cost go get your truck programed. I have a 2004 GMC 2500 4X4 Crew Cab 6.0 L 3:73 gears. I had mine done last week and what a difference. Like everything from shifting to horse power to gas mileage to torque. He told me he figures I will see about an extra 6 mpg, 35 HP & 75lbs more torque and he was right. It has som much more power plus a great response when you hit the pedal, it cost me $399.00 but well worth it. Don't bother with the chips and the on screen hardware in your cab just go have the plug in tune and up plug.