1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 l Low Idile Sputtering and Stalling

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by red dog, Jan 25, 2016.

1. red dog

red dog Junior Member

As title states 2003 GMC HD automatic stalling when put in drive and strain goes on motor.Also idling low and sputtering in park and drive when stopped.Truck has new plugs,wires,fuel filter,fuel pump.Was giving code of random misfire and had new coils for 4 cylinders replaced.The fuel in truck is new and has had injector cleaners ran threw with the new fuel. Have heard it could be a dirty MAF issue.What is the best way of cleaning this and throttle body?What else could be the cause of this stalling issue?
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I know this sounds stupid, but is your mass air sensor plugged in/ clean? Those little bast@rds have caused me some head scratching threw they years.
  3. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

had the same problem with an 2002 sierra 2500hd
    the EGR valve had carbon build up
  4. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

Why only four coils replaced? Sounds like a bad coil to me.
  5. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

Try tightening down the intake plenum bolts. See if gets better. If does, replace intake gaskets. Has happened on both my 4.8 and 6.0. When temps where colder, the worse the problem. If that is the cause, replace both knock sensors, the wire harness and the oil pressure sending unit all at the same time. Well worth it! Also a MAF sensor may be just enough out of spec to cause these issues but will not throw a code. Happened on my 6.0.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Take the maf out, take it apart. Very carefully look at the little sensors. They should look clean. If not get some dedicated cleaner at the auto parts store and clean them. Mine had what looked like hair on one side. Made a huge difference.
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

have you ever run seafoam to clean your truck out they have great you tube video
  8. Grantski

Grantski Member
    from 06475

I was chasing a similar issue w my f250. Seemed to have stopped after a new ignition coil / coil pack (idk if that's the same thing)