1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 L GM Gas VS. 6600 GM diesel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PLOWLO, Aug 8, 2009.

1. PLOWLO

PLOWLO Junior Member

Ok its not exactly like the title suggests but I am in a weird situation....

I am purchasing a truck in the next two weeks......

The contenders are a 2002 Chev Silverado 2500HD GAS and a 2006 GMC Sierra DIESEL.

the Silverado's specs are: 4x4, Automatic, 125,000 miles $3500 spent on it by previous owner... new tires, front end, 4x4 tranfer case and brakes. for a cost of $10,000

the Sierra's specs are: 4x4, auto, 100,000 miles, new tires and brakes. COST $20,000

Basically my question is..... What difference can I expect in fuel costs between the two trucks.... my dad is bent on me taking the diesel saying that I can save in excess of $3000 a year based on 20,000 miles driven per year.

I'd love to hear from both sides of the fence..... this is the last PRO and CON analysis I'm doing as I've allready thought of all other factors such as resale value etc....

P.S. if the prices seem too high just keep in mind that used vehicles here in Canada are a little more expensive then U.S. prices.....

Thanks so much,
    Paolo

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$20,000 for an 06 seems like a good price to me. It has to have some newer parts with that mileage. You will save $3,000 in fuel if you are trailering and plowing but just driving I don't think you will save quite $3000. Are they both cert. and clean air?

3. PLOWLO

PLOWLO Junior Member

I will just be plowing ..... no towing! Yes they are both cert and clean air!!! The price for the 06 is actually AMAZING... most are going 24-25k but my dad is in the car biz so he can hook it up... but spending 10k is so enticing!!...

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should buy the diesel and let me know where the 02 is so I can go and look at it. LOL

5. PLOWLO

PLOWLO Junior Member

LOL... I like that!!

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm serious.

An 06 diesel for $20,000 is a good price. Is it a reg. cab long box?

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

My 2000 6.0 gets 10mpg in town, up to 14 hwy, and 8mpg or less plowing. Go with the diesel, lots more goodies to add on... programmer, exhaust..etc...

8. PLOWLO

PLOWLO Junior Member

It is an ext. cab reg box!!! The problem is that I'm leaving myself pretty dry if anything comes up in terms of repair if I buy the diesel!

Thanks for the numbers Diece exactly the stuff I'm looking for....

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Only you know your money situation. 4 years newer with the diesel is a great deal. Do you have someone that can go over the front end. That is where the GM's are weak.

10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I know i said buy the diesel, but i am a cheap a**, i would probably buy the 6.0 for 10k

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have the 6.0 and it has plenty of power but the mileage is terrible.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

wheres this 06 at? I wouldnt mind seeing it myself :D

by 100,000 miles you mean km's right?

13. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

PLEASE tell me you mean KM not miles...because 20k for a Dmax with 100,000 miles is a total joke.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you think the price is too high?

15. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

get the diesel, you wont be disappointed that LBZ is one hell of an engine

16. PLOWLO

PLOWLO Junior Member

lol... I know how to convert. It is 100,000 MILES!

20k (Canadian $ currently at .92 cents) is very low in comparison to other truck in the local market.

I'm wondering if the difference in fuel savings will make up the operating costs....

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You would save ~$0.093(US) in fuel per mile.

This is based on 11 mpg vs. 18 mpg

At 20k miles a year you would save about $1860

I would go diesel.

18. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Im with cretebaby all the way on this one. I own an 04 2500HD and love the truck but my fuel mileage sucks on a good day....Im lucky to see 12.5 on the highway and around town, towing and plowing its always less than 10. From a pure mileage standpoint I'd say go diesel all the way!!

19. tsidders

tsidders Junior Member

I am probably the perfect candidate to answer this one....I Just bought an 06 Silverado Crew 2500hd upgrading from my 01 Silverado 2500hd. The 01 is a great truck and I owned it for 5 years logging nearly 90k miles on it...2 years ago I hung a plow on it and went thru 1 front end overhaul, transfer case rebuild, rebuild tranny, several fuel pumps, wheel bearings, all since the plowing began...totaling about 5k in repairs. Now the main issue is fuel, I drive about 100 miles a day and never see mileage over 11mpg.
    Once I bought the diesel....which I drove from Idaho to Wi, I averaged 16mpg traveling 80-85mph. Around town I usually see around 14ish....I plan on doing an exhaust and intake which is supposed to pick up 2-3mpg all around.....I absolutly would buy the diesel, hands down!!!! They have way more resale value and will totally out perform the gasser.