1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 good? or bad?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by <Benchmark>, Jan 23, 2012.

1. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

I was thinking i might get a 6.0 diesel but i know they have a bad rep. Can anyone tell me if there are just certain years that are problem years or are they all problem years. Any info will help thanks

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Dont be lazy do a search. Actually just go on google and type in 6.0 problems and have fun reading.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The problem years are those between mid year 2003 and 2007.

I can think of a 2003 (250k+) and 2, 2005's, and a 2007 (only has 17k max on it) that I know the owners of who have had very minimal problems with their trucks.
    There's many others 03-06's that I've driven, worked on, or know the owners of that are nothing but a rolling train wreck. A friend of mine runs a diesel repair shop and he could probably add a few dozen to the list of rolling pos motors but has done service on some that are doing great but they are few and far between.

Unless you want to drop some coin (couple thousand) right off the bat on motor work to get rid of the problematic area's I'd steer clear.
  4. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

been there done that i was just looking to get some more info. from what ive read some guys love em and some guys absolutly hate em. I wanted to talk to someone who know first hand. thanks for .02 though

5. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Thanks for your input. I think thats what im gonna do its just soo tempting cause i go online and see all these 6.0s for sale pretty cheap but there is a reason for that im sure lol
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on if you want reliability or not.

If not, go buy one. Actually, buy 2, you're going to need a second one.
  7. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Take it from someone who has alot of ford trucks, I wouldnt, there is a good reason a 7.3 is worth more than a 6.0 on resale.
  8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Their not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, but their NO 7.3L. The thing is, a 6.0 will last if you beat the crap out of it all day every day. They don't like to just putz around town empty. Load it up, drive it hard and your problems will be few IMO. I have 8 of them in my fleet of buses at work and have had very minimal problems with them.
  9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I have 118k on mine, did the oil cooler and egr delete myself. i love the truck
  10. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

i have 7 of them total a few 03's an 05 and 3- 06s all with over 100k and i dont have many issues with them. you just have to have to have to keep a strict mantainece plan on them if you dont you'll have issues and also in the cold they have to warm a good 10-15 minutes if you do all that you should be ok.
  11. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Ok these kind of things make me think twice about buying one i feel like all the guys that are bad mouthing them are the people that dont own them and just hear bad stuff about them. any truck i get its going to have problems i just wanna make sure they are minimal problems. thanks for your input. One more question though. if you had to buy a truck today would you buy a 6.0?
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 3 and have spent more money keeping them operational this year than the rest of my trucks combined. I have 4 7.3's, a Cummins and a Cat. And a bunch of other stuff.

They are crap, I wouldn't buy one if the alternative was a horse and buggy with a v-plow.
  13. doyles

doyles Member

i had a 2004 6.0 at 70000 the injector driver went bad cost 1200 to fix
    the 6.0 are only good when they run good
    ford has not had a good or dependable diesel since the 7.3
    when i do buy another diesel it will be a cummins
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  14. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

I have a cummins now its just the front ends and transmissions in them suck and thats two things a plow is gonna be hard on lol. I Love my cummins though it will pull anything i hook to it and very reliable
  15. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i havent read a post in this thread. but what i will tell you, is i just sent a 2004 f250 with a 6.0 to the dealership because the head bolts stretched and he needs head gaskets now. 20 hours of labor to repair. and thats not even touching the problematic egr. the truck had 54,000 miles on it too... .just my .02
  16. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

we have a fleet of 05's at the concrete company, JUNK all are less then 50k on them and are on a hitler like maintenance schedule. 20 some injectors 3 sets of studs, 2 cracked heads, one FICM, a turbo, egr deletes oil cooler bs... they are really hit or miss. a big fat NO from me.

Worst part is, Ford turns there back.
  17. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

18. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Buy a cummins, or a 6.4
  19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Im torn, this is my first year with a 6.0L and so far I've put in a new fuel pump for 700 bucks. This is the only engine failure...so far. I changed the oil 1 time since I owned it, put a new fan clutch in it, new ball joints, new front coil springs and a couple other small things but none of those were engine related. We bought this truck without plow prep set up so we needed to make it right for plowing. When they break it can be expensive but when they run they are great. So far so good I think, I plan on doing a EGR delete kit, new oil cooler and head bolts some day but for now it seems to be running fine. No leaks or smoking but that could change tomorrow. Once you eliminate the common problems they seem to be good engines. My buddy just did head gaskets at 180k and he now has injector issues and is trading it in. Even stock, this thing moves piles of snow like nothing. I put it to a good test the other day while plowing. I had good traction and I moved a frozen snow pile the size of my tuck with out any problems. I don't make a habit of doing this but just wanted to see the full power. Plus after 2 days of plowing and driving all over the place I bet I used maybe between 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel. I have to get used to not needing to put the pedal to the metal to move snow and the mileage will get better. There's no doubt they have issues but a few things to look for is smoking, the smell of coolant, any obvious leaks and general condition. Have the vin number run at a local Ford dealer for any updates etc. People say stay away from the 03-04's but I know guys who are still running them and love them, personally I would look for an 05 or newer with average miles. Ours is an 05 that had 81k on it when we bought it last March.
  20. davidscag

davidscag Junior Member
    from 15485

I def agree steer clear unless you want to keep dumping money into it