1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2003ctd, Feb 14, 2009.

1. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Alright I need some help from you chevy guys. A friend of mine recently bought a 2008 2500 HD with the 6.0, and he his complaining about the gas mileage. Has anyone installed any aftermarket programmers, cold air, exhaust etc. and noticed any difference? Any products out there that are worth buying?
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The best thing to do is get a custom tuned ecm, but nothing improves it that much. The tuners and stuff are ok, but usually require running higher octane fuel so it cancels out the little bit of economy you would have gained. A better air cleaner or CAI will help, so will less restrictive exhaust, but don't think you'll get a 5mpg increase with any of it.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

X2, there isnt really anything you can do to improve it making it justifiable. A nice exhaust, intake and program will run you ~$1200, you can buy alot of fuel for that much money.The other issue is once you tap this new found power you will be keeping your foot into it more often so your mileage will be worse than it was.
  4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i get around 11-13 mpg usually. I have gotten 15 on the highway but i was going 55 the whole way. I have dual pipe exhaust a two chamber muffler and stock air intake, no tuning
  5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Do more coasting....
  6. jay741

jay741 Junior Member

to get better miliage put a cold air intake exhust and put dimand E 3 spark plugs and put synthic oil in the motor tranny and gears. if u have time put manuel locking hubs on all this stuff pry +5 miles per gallon
  7. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Higher octane fuel helps a bit but the extra cost makes it a wash.

Don't you think if there was a way to get 5 more MPG out of the truck with out sacrificing something that GM would do it ? a 3/4ton HD truck with a 100,000 mile warranty that gets close to18- 20 MPG would make it the number one selling truck in the world
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not a chance, maybe +1MPG
  9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

9-10 city and 14-16 yes i saw 16 once on the highway best your going to do. I thought about and read about various different programmers and air filters and intakes. Not going to gain a whole lot more than 3-5 mpg. The cost is too much to see a total benefit and with fuel prices at least here stabil and down from almost 4.00/gal it does not pay.
  10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Driving habits ,. top speed and idling, dont know your friend (of course) perhaps start with these BIG 3 and see if there is a improvement. Like the other posts said if ya shell out payupbig bucks to modify, well that has to be recovered over the life of the truck.:Dtymusic
  11. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

My dad gets 17 to 18 with his at times, but HE DRIVES LIKE AN OLD MAN 45 to 50 mph where ever he goes and he take 12 minutes to get there.
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

In a 6.0 gas GM? Hand calc? My 3500 van was lucky to get 8 in town.
  13. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I am not saying he consistently gets that. He's retired and got nowhere to go fast he says he can get 17mpg if he tries. He really drives 45 to 50 and takes her really easy. When I borrow it I get 10 to 12. I took it the other day to get a load of grain and he was below a quarter I filled it up. He keeps the mileage on the dash. I did the math and I got 15 and change with him driving for most of the tank.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  14. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I think mine idling in a parking lot gets 18-19 .:)
  15. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I get 10-12 driving hard or driving easy doesn't matter and that is with CAI and Magnaflow exhaust and now headers! My DiabloSport programmer just makes it seem like it gets better MPG. It does run alot better and snappier with a tune but that is it. My best is 13/15.
  16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have the NBS 6.0L with .373 rear end ( NOT the stouter .410 ).

Plowing I see between 5-8mpg.
    No plow or salter - Mixed driving 13mpg. Highway 17mpg. This is not babying it either but not racing the traffic light as well.

There is no magic bullet for mpg. There are a lot of science projects that will increase mileage but, they have their own draw backs and for the majority it's not worth it.
  17. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

i have an 06 3500 gmc dump truck with a magna flow dual 3 inch in/out strait through hypertech e=con programmer and a k&n cold air intake with all this i only gained about 2 mpg from stock but can feel the power towing i am only getting 7 mpg around town the best i ever got was 9 on the highway unloaded
  18. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I am looking to buy a new (used) truck. What does everybody think of the older dmaxes vs the newer ones. Also has the tranny changed at all? I remember gm having problems at first with the duramax, but I have found a few nice 02's in my range. Whats the difference if any in mpg's between the 2. Have found both in my range but a few good deals with the older ones. Plan on using it personally other then using as a second plow truck in the winter.
  19. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I guess thats the nature of the Beast, when you buy a 2500 with a 6.0 don't expect to get 25 mph. Its for work and gets terrible milage. If you looking for a cruiser get a 1500 with a 4.8 or 5.3.
    I have notice when plowing in very cold weather it sucks the gas even more. I keep the 2500 for towing in the summer otherwise would get rid of it.
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd go with the diesel for sure, but I'm partial. Milage will be better than 50% more with the Dmax vs the 6.0. And what "problems" do you remember at first? No real common problem aside from injectors on 01-04.5, roughly every 100-120k and they are warranted 7yr200k. Trans was the same till 06 it switched to a 6spd vs 5, but still an Alli 1000 all years to current. I'd choose an 02 over an 01 myself. Head gaskets were a minor issue for some 01's (improved by 02) with high miles and poor coolant maintenance. Doesn't happen to all, not even 1/10th, but why not get the newer one when comparing side to side, right?

If you're going to work it, get the diesel. If not, it's personal preference I suppose.