1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 ford tips

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mpriester, Oct 19, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Hi Guys, my son just bought a 05 f250 with the 6.0 diesel with 109k miles on it. I know very little about a diesel engine and he only knows what he has read. It has an upgraded exhaust and what else is a good upgrade to help this engine as i know it has a bad reputation?
    Thank You
    Mike

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What year is it

3. RSI Const.

RSI Const. Junior Member

Be diligent about the oil changes and both fuel filter changes(do every 3,000 miles), don't let it idle for that long as the idleing will cause the egr valve to soot up. Upgrades that I have heard of to make it "bullet proof" include and egr delete, upgrade egr cooler and oil cooler. Google bullet proof diesel and it will take you to their website.

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

join powerstrokenation.com. RESEARCH .

get the three basic mods first.

1) cold air intake

2) magnaflo ss turbo back exhaust

3)sct tuner w/ drag/street/tow tunes..i use tow tune for plowing on both of mine , relentless in deep stuff

4) zoodad & blue spring mods are cheap too . RSI is correct CHANGE THE OIL FREQUENTLY ! 3k miles

night and day difference . cost about 3k now . but well worth it . dont raise the heads bangin her all over town . even tho shes just a baby

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the biggest thing to do with a 6.0 to make it live is keep it stock. no tuner. the 6.0 is pushing the limits of safe power with the tune in it, so adding a tuner for more power pushes it over the limit and it breaks.

and ford-trucks.com is 1000% better site than powerstroke nation or powerstroke army.

ford trucks is all about making trucks last forever, powerstroke is all about making power and blowing trucks up.

6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have a 2005 f350 also. I spent months researching on all the forums and this is what I ended up doing.

4" turbo back exhaust
    extremely good coolant flush with the stuff from Cummins
    cat elc coolant
    fuel pressure updated spring from ford
    updated stc fitting
    egr delete
    new oil cooler.

All of this cost me 2800 for a very reputable shop to do. It runs awesome now.

Ps, skip the cold air intake, lots and lots of info saying the stock setup is good up to 500 hp

7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

90 percent of the problems from the 6.0 came from the ford gold crap coolant that gels up and plugs the oil coolerr, then ruptures the egr valve, and then blows the head gaskets.

If you get the right tunes they are fine for your truck, and then it runs 1000x better. I hate running I stock now haha I used Matt from geared auto. The truck is an absolute rocket now

8. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Your son should delete the EGR, tune it and do the blue spring mod now at 109k. If I was him I would put some cash away for head studs in the future. Buddy of mine did this and added an MBRP 4" turbo-back at 75k and it really woke the truck up.

Mike I sent you a PM.

9. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

For starters, ignore the majority of the information posted in here.

The very first thing that needs to be done is get a monitor on that truck and make sure your deltas are good (look this up at powerstroke.org). If they are too far apart, you need to get them in spec first. Exhaust, tunes, intakes, etc are all pointless if you have a bad oil cooler or egr.

If your deltas are good, then look into bulletproofing and mods. Everything else is pretty pointless on a truck that's a lawn ornament.

Until you get a monitor, an easy way to make sure they truck is at least somewhat healthy is get it to operating temp, and then do a couple good pulls. Such as a long on ramp, etc to get the boost and temperatures up. Then check and see if you have anything leaking from the degas bottle.

10. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Listen to him. Monitoring is the most important. Gauges (scangaugeii) Egr delete, 4" turbo back, blue spring, coolant flush and filter, regular maintenance with motorcraft filters and sct tuning will make it a new truck. I did all this and just tunned it and it's crazy on a street tune. These are great motors if you know what they are and what they need.

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

or leave it bone stock, maintain it, and easily get 300,000 miles out of it.

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I will pass the info you have given on to him.
    Thank You all Very Much

13. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

good job ! but....
    cai IS necessary ....proof is in the pudding in HP. the turbo sux a whole mutha load more of air along w/ a zoodad . diezelz need to breeeeeeeeathe

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

To the OP,

Never owned a 6.0 but from what I have seen they like to be run. Friend had an 06 as repo truck drove the snot out of it. All stock. No issues until about 450k when the egr went. Now brother also had an 06. Only exhaust upgrade. Barely ever drove it and when he did he baby the crap out of it. Thing basically lived at the dealer. Ended up selling it with around 60k on it.

Can say when they are running correctly, very impressive engine but I still love my old noisy 7.3.Thumbs Up

15. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

You have to run a 6.0 pretty hard, and you're right they do live longer. The issue is the VGT turbo. If you're nice to it and put around town the vanes eventually stick and snowball into more issues.

My old noisy 7.3 was a good truck, but now that I have my 6.0 dialed in, it is my favorite now.

16. kimber750

Brother had 3 turbos put on, injectors done once, countless remaps and egr problems. Even mid summer the thing would sound like it was running on 2 cylinders when first started. Come out of the shop and run good for a few months then something would go wrong.

17. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Geez, your brother had the diesel version of Christine! :laughing:

That was the big issue, was the small percentage that had such issues got all the attention. I had the turbo gone through mine as insurance when doing the Hpop and oil cooler. They found initial stages of the vanes sticking. The old man that had it apparently never got over 20MPH.

18. kimber750

Realize this is not the norm for the 6.0. Just two of the 6.0's I have any knowledge of and both being complete opposites. The repo guy was even terrible with maintenance. Talking 15k+ oil changes. Think that truck had well over 500k when he got rid of it.

19. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah you definitely don't know what you'll get with one, into you get it all sorted out and dialed in. After that, you're usually good to go. Then of course there are the possessed ones, lol.

20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

05+ has a few improvements.

I have several friends running over 500 hp on a stock intake. After market is a waste of money. And I would never put an oiled filter on one