1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 egr

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ColliganLands, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my 05 f350 with the 6.0 keeps going through egrs like water. this will be #3 or 4 since i got it in August. ive put almost 6,000 miles on it since that time.
    it has a cold air intake on it and other than that it is completely stock.
    back when i got the truck i had my dealer go throguh the entire truck and they replaced almost everything. new turbo,egr,cooling system, lines(tranny coolant) new brake calipers, new interior heater controls, new alternator, new batteries, and more...
    so im wondering is it just a common issue or is there something im doing wrong?
    the truck is used as a daily driver/plowtruck/landscaping rig but never really tows anything heavy(over 7,000lbs)
    any help is appreciated
    thanks in avance
    Kyle

2. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

yea its common. I would just delete it if I were you. firstcoastdieselperformance.com. Most people make the mistake of using these trucks for short runs and allowing for alot of idle time. You need to beat on these trucks alittle so the veins in the turbo get to open up and clean themselves out and breath.

3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

are you letting it idle for a long time? I heard that was a no no on the 6.0's

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Its common. I went through 7 EGR's in 14 months with my '04 F-250. Crappy motors, thats why I got rid of mine.

5. ColliganLands

not for long periods of time.. also i hooked up the high idle so if it does idle its at 1200 rpm

6. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Stop driving like an old lady an drive it like you stole it. Went through one with my pick-up in 2 1/2 years. I do 65 miles a day avg with my truck an most of its traffic so i beat it up a bit.

7. ColliganLands

ok so rapid accelerations are good i guess?

8. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Yes 6.0L are notorius for having EGR issues as well as lifting the heads as well.

I would deffinatly do the EGR delete kit and save yourself the headache later on down the road.

I would also look into replacing the head studs also.

I put up this link to a forum I am also on strictly for diesel pickups, take a read

http://dieselalliance.com/index.php?showtopic=1191

9. ColliganLands

thanks, ill take a look at that.. one question will the delete kit and the headstuds void the warranty?

10. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

A egr delete will unless you do like a sneaky pipe and keep the valve itself on top of the manifold.I wouldn't do head studs until you need them and then try and get them under warranty.Some trucks head bolts are stronger then others so they can withstand some of the abuse. Others will puke after just pulling a heavy trailer up a half decent grade. Haha rapid acceleration, throw that baby in 4wd hi boost up to about 2k and lay into it when the light turns green. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

11. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

It shouldn't void the warrenty since you will be making the motor a better running one.

I would make a phone call to the ford dealer you work with and talk with the service manager about what you want to do and see if that is something they will work with you to fix all together so you dont have to keep bringing it back.

My question for you is did you buy the truck brand new or did you buy it used????

Also where did you buy it from was it a ford dealer or a used dealer????

Are the EGR valves covered under warrenty currently???? or are you paying for them out of your pocket every time???

here is a link for the head studs and the price of them, I deal with them on a regular basis and have never had a problem with anything i have gotten from them or there service.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/arpdieselheadstudkit250-4202.aspx

http://www.elitedieseleng.com/engine60egr.htm

12. ColliganLands

i bought it used in August 2008 from a chrysler dealer who also has a ford dealer.
    it has the powerstroke engine warranty untill july 2010 and then a extended mxplus service contract to cover everything for an additional 5years/70,000 miles. the truck had 54,000 when i bought it and now has 60,3xx on it. All the repairs ive done including the EGR is covered by one of the two warranties. Ill give a call to my dealer Quirk Ford and see what they have to say about it.
    thanks again for all the help

13. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

Studs will not void your warranty, An EGR delete in most cases will void a warranty and is against emission laws. The whole point of ford putting the EGR on is to make the truck pass emission rules, also why it has a CAT.Some dealers are better then others. Symptoms of needing headstuds are loosing coolant and puking out of the degas bottle. A egr it's self actually takes heated gas and emission from your manifolds throws them through your egr cooler with coolant and then back through the motor and back out the exhaust. Now a sneaky pipe and kit can only be seen if a dealer goes in and has to yank a turbo or something. It closes off your up-pipe and egr cooler and doesnt allow the heat back into motor and burning the coolant. Seeing that your coming up on your warranty, talk to the diesel mechanic and tell him what you do with the truck. explain that it tows alot and are worried you may blow your gaskets and stretch your headbolts and were thinking about addin arp for extra strenght.

14. ColliganLands

ok thanks.. il give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.. im going to take out the valve later and clean it and see if the light goes off or not.. more than likely it will be back in the dealer next week adn let them replace stuff under warranty again

15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

You should just have them do an engine swap. Why did Ford stop making the 7.3 anyway? Now they went to the 6.4 and I heard those are crap too. What does the EGR do?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Well keep us posted on what they say,

I just took a look at the emission laws for the state of mass, and from what it says, your truck does not need to pass an emissions test to be inspected.

if you want to read it for yourself just do a google search for this topic "310 CMR 60"
    scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a PDF link for it and click on it then look for the section that says 60.02 (3) (B) (C). That will give you all the info you need if a place gives you a hard time about emission laws and your truck in the sate of mass.

I know in NH that and vehicle over 8,600 GVW does not have to pass emissions, thats why I am able to run my diesel with a 4" strait pipe and no muffler or cat.

Hey Brant's Lawn Care, take a look at this link it does a good job of explaining what an EGR does, whether its for a gas motor or diesel.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0804dp_60_powerstroke_egr_block_off_kit/index.html

17. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

What M1N1TRK speaks of is true. I'm running straight pipes turbo to tips as well. I had to replace my EGR back in august thankfully under warranty. I think i've resolved the problem since i take 5 hour trips out to NY every 2-3 weeks. Cleans the carbon and **** outta everything from daily work vehicle buildup.

18. ColliganLands

i know theres no emissions test YET but theyre planning to implement one in the next 2 years.. im just worried about the egr delete voiding my warranties. i bought the service contract to extend my warranty for a long time so i dont want to void it out.

the dealer is going to look into the head studs but they said when htey had it the first time(7 days) and replaced the turbo,radiator,coolant lines, turbo lines, brak master cylinder. they also did head gaskets.

also they said that the aftermarket cold air intake is meesing with my egr since its allowing more air flow then normal and told me to replace it with the factory intake... is there any truth to this?

19. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

tough to say, i don't know. here's a shot in the dark, maybe some of the veterans can help with the answer but would a performance tuner help at all?

20. ColliganLands

im pretty sure they void the warranty also.. im going to replace the intake with the factory one for a trial and see if it helps. then if not ill bring it in and let them deal with it.. whats the point of having the warranty if youre not going to use it right?