1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0 diesel, which exhaust?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by metallihockey88, Mar 4, 2009.

1. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i got a 2006 f250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. i want to upgrade the exhaust and have my eye on either a mbrp dual exhaust or a magnaflow dual system. does anyone have experience with either exhaust or is there something else i should consider?

2. Team Pigeon

Team Pigeon Junior Member

Here's my setup

Single 4" MBRP from the turbo.
    Full AFE intake
    Power elbow going into the intake manifold.
    ARP head studs
    Superchips tuner
    egt's
    on 37's

At idle, she sounds like a turbine.
    Not too loud on the highway.

Haven't done much research on diesels, but been told not to run duals unless running a larger turbo, head studs, egt's etc...
    I do know that too much flow, too big of pipe, will decrease your RWHP.

3. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Whatever you get, I would recommend T-304 Stainless.

I run a Ford Racing (Borla) cat-back on my 07. T-304, great fit and quality of construction, all the hangers are welded to the pipe, and it comes with the nice accuseal clamps as well.

4. Team Pigeon

Team Pigeon Junior Member

Ya on the stainless,

my MBRP is all rusted- except for the tip, but it's an NADP brand.
    Not too sure how the other brands hold up?

Anyhow, I thought it was a real cheap coating, I should of had gotten the alumized set-up.

5. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I have MBRP duals on mine sounds stock til you get on it,on the fast idle though you can hear the turbo just winding up.:nod:

6. metallihockey88

the magnaflows are stainless, thats what i liked about them. i might have ot check into the borla's, i love the sound of a borla but with that name comes a hefty price tag usually

7. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Make sure it's T-304 SS, and not T-409 SS.

T-409 SS still gets surface rust pretty bad.

T-304 SS will not rust.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

DONT get magna flows, lynden-jeff got a magnaflow and was extremely disappointed with it... sounds almost stock.... I got MBRP and took the muffler off... Gotta love it... Sounds like a F-18 sitting in my driveway when its on high idle LOL

9. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

go with the mbrp they make great exhaust and have stainless as well

10. metallihockey88

i started lookin for sound clips on youtube, not many but found some and you guys are right, the mbrp does sound better...just gotta find a stainless dual now...exhausts dont last long out here, they salt like its free out here

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the MBRP cool Duals on my truck. But I personally would not waste the extra loot on t304 SS unless you plan on keeping the truck for more than 10 years. I bought the Aluminized ones 3 years ago and thay have not started to rust at all. Spend the 400 on something else and let the next guy who buys your truck worry about the exhaust

12. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

For short term I'd definitely go Aluminized over T-409 SS.
    T-409 will get a good amount of surface rest in the first year or two.

T-304 will not rust....ever. I keep my trucks for a long time so I run T-304SS on them.

Here's a pic from under my plow truck. You can see the factory part of the exhaust is rusted (it is SS) and looks like crap, and the T-304 cat-back looks great.

[​IMG]

13. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i have a full 409 stainless Silverline, th emuffler itself is mirror stainless, probably 304, but the pipes arnt. I sprayed MOST all pipes though with a silver high temp paint. A year later and most of the paint is still on and hardly any even surface rust. I'd recommend doing this if you dont go 304 for long term durability.

15. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to Hijack this but what about the banks monster exhaust
    i'm thinking about it for my 05 6.0

16. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

No mbrp, if we ever have that meeting again ill show you mine.

17. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

ok... i might be done at matt(blue lines) picking up some lights in a couple days

18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Hypermax 5". Gilberts, Illinois. Sounds stock under normal conditions, but when you put your foot into it, it will make your stecker pick out.

19. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

i'm just going straight pipes turbo to tip, no cat no muff. dual exhaust each with dual 4in tips

20. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Shoot me a PM the day before an ill stop by