1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5W-30 or 15W-40?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Mar 4, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have always run Amsoil in my truck, for all 16,000 miles anyway :rolleyes:. My question is what oil weight to run. I was thinking of just running the 15-40 year round but am now wondering if I should run 5-30. Maybe 5-30 would allow for better mileage :confused:? I noticed many of the truck stops around the country sell 15-40 for the big trucks, the Cummins is more like a big truck motor so...

Just noticed that Amsoil offers 5-40 and 10-30 diesel oils http://www.amsoil.com/products/heavytrucks/index.aspx

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I run valvoline premium blue extreme. It is only available in 5W-40 full syn, I have never had any problems with it at all. I don't think the 5w-30 or 10W-30 will be thick enough to use.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i use valvoline 15- 40 from napa, its a blue bottle and cummins indorses it, thats good enough for me. Do use mopar filters?, i hear that you should always use them with the diesels for some reason;)

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder why? I run the amsoil dual remote filters

5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

I think 5w30 would be a little too thin for summer but it may be ok for winter.. You'll have to look in your owners manual for the temperature recommendations on that one..

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I run 15 / 40 Shell Rotella in all 3 of our diesel trucks year round. Always have on all of our diesel trucks, never had a problem. They are serviced every 5000 miles.

7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

There was a lot of talk from Dodge on the filter specs and warranty concerns. They said to use either mopar filters or fleetguard standard or stratapore filters with the cummins. Fleetguard is owned by cummins.

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You're under warranty,so why don't you more importantly follow Cummins recommended oil weight for the ambient temperature where you're running?

9. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

If you're running full synthetic then dont go by the manf recomendations...the reason for full synthetic is to get away from the short interval oil change & the natural breakdown of petroleum based lubrication. I have seen both sides of the AmSoil debate & I gotta say that I believe in the science.(I'm too chheap to try it out, but I believe it)....I say that you should pose this question to AmSoil & follow their recomendation.

5-30 is way too light an oil to run if you are running petrol based fluids but the answer may suprise you about the full synthetic. dont expect a 4-5 mpg gain...I would think that 1/2 - 1 mpg would be more realistic. after all it is less drag on all moving parts.

JMO no need to flame...

10. Unimount219

Unimount219 Junior Member
    from indiana

Most of the Diesels that come into my shop for an oil change run 15-40 Shell, ive never seen them even run anything thinner or thicker, and as far as amsoil goes i like the rotella much better especially if you see some of the stuff that comes outta some peoples cars that we drain, and the leaks syn cause

11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

same for me + a bottle of lucas syn oil additive :nod:

12. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

Ive run the rotella 15w-40 since my truck was new. Picked up rotella 5w-40 syn. on sale will be going with that on next change. Wouldnt go with 5w-30 to thin the manufacturer calls for dino 15w-40 or syn 5w-40 Id stick with one of those

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

A manufacturer can't tell you that you have to run their filter. They can tell you to run X or equivilant. If they say you have to use X they have to supply it for FREE.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That TSB also included Motorcraft, Purolator and AC Delco filters.