1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5w-20 Oil

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by adksnowo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

We have a 2003 F-350 w/ the 5.4 in it. The question is does anyone know of a valid reason to always use 5w-20 oil in it. Maybe b/c it is an overhead cam engine? Or is it that Ford asserts you get better mileage using 5w-20 (thinner), after all it is a one-ton truck! We don't have anything else that uses that grade oil as it is the only Super Duty we have and Mobil 1 5w-20 is special order at my local auto parts store. We always ran Mobil 1 or Amsoil 0w-30 in the winter with everything. It has a wider viscosity range so it should not matter, right? Any thoughts are appreciated, thanx.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know, the 5w20 is very thin. I work on cop cars all day and thats all we use. I just bought a F250SD and thats what it calls for as well. I think its for fuel mileage reasons. With a 3/4 ton with 4:10 gears I didn't think I was going to get 20mpg! lol.
  3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

emissions/economy and the fact it was designed for that oil. My 4.6 suggest 5w30 but it is a little older. It holds great pressure so i haven't found a reason to change
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have never even seen 5w20 oil anywhere. My Focus says the same thing, I just run 5w30 in it since it was new. My auto repair teacher told us it's better to jump up one grade anyway. The lower number is how thick the oil acts when cold ( thinner easier to turn motor over, flows faster ), the higher number is how it acts when the engines at temp ( thicker, better retention of pressure and film ).
  5. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

the reason they call for 5-20 oil is because the close tolerances the engines are built with. they build them very "tight" for emissions and other reasons too. my dad is a service manager at a ford dealership that's how i know. thanks, pete
  6. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Could you ask him if it would do any harm to run 5-30?
  7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. And any auto teacher that would tell anyone to run other then what the the manufactur designed the engine to run on should not own a wrench never mind teach. And if u are to numb to believe I feel very bad for u.. These engines are designed to run on this oil, due to clearence tolerences and specifacations.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If this was such a big issue the oil would be available at all the big chain auto parts stores. It's NOT. But go to the Dealer and they have it, for a high price too. Or maybe they don't have it either? I have always put in a step up in oil rating and have never popped an engine. My instructor put in 30 years at a Ford Dealership as a mechanic. He knew his stuff. The company I work for is the largest ambulance company in the world! They use major brand 10W30 in all the units from the diesel 7.3 to the 6.0, and the unlead 4.5 & 5.4 The entire world wide fleet is FORD.
  9. FCLCinMaine

FCLCinMaine Member
    from Maine

I did a oil change in my 05 F-350 and AutoZone had prob. 8 different brands of 5w-20.
  10. fordaholic72

fordaholic72 Junior Member

I get Motorcraft 5w-20 at Walmart for my 03 F 150 w/5.4 and I use Walmart 10w-30 full synthetic in my F 350 that I plow with. I know that the 5w-20 was harder to find at Walmart a couple of years ago when I got my 03. The Motorcraft is a semi-synthetic and it is cheaper than the other big name brands petroleum oil. Just my .02.

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

In my area of Ohio everyplace that carries a selection of oil carries 5W20. Even the local Walmart offers 5W20 in their pump dispensers at the oil change station.

Just talked to a friend who is the fleet mechanic for Rural Metro in Cincinnati. They use bulk Rotella 15W40 in the diesels, and either 5W20(new gas) or 5W30(old gas)for the wheelchair units.
  12. brad96z28

I have never seen a place that sells 5w30 not sell 5w20. And as well all the new hondas run 5w20 as well as fords. It Is not like it is uncommon. Lol places still sell 10w40 the only thing that takes 10w40 is a motorcycle, but yet people still put it in there cars. :realmad:
  13. brad96z28

what moron uses 10w30 in a deisel. Lol tell that to the place u buy a vehicle so they can take ur warranty papers and throw them in the trash. :nono:
  14. brad96z28

agreed :waving: