1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

580 Case Backhoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by On a Call, Feb 12, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

This might be in the wrong location...if so feel free to move.

I have a chance to purchase a 580 for $ 5,000. I ran it and here are the issues.

Steering problem...it is like no power. Filled the res and it helped but still hard.

Brakes...they are there but not by much.

Hoe bucket... teeth missing but other than that solid.

Cab missing lower left door.

Heater... gone

But...it does dig, it does lift a bucket of stone, it starts and idles fine, tires are at about 50%

Any thoughts ??

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

The heater, door and teeth are easy enough to fix but I'd be concerned with something that doesn't steer and stop easily. One excavation company I worked for had a 580 that had brake problems. They replaced lines, pads, both master cylinders and still couldn't get it to stop properly. However for $5000 that's a good price depending on the age of the machine and I'd be willing to try it. I'm not a fan of Case equipment but I'll give credit to them, their older machines seem to run forever and are relatively low maintenance

3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Thank you Peteo1

Stopping is important...I learned that the hard way once :)

The steering I am guessing is the pump ? But it might be in the box ?? Not sure how to tell, summer project.

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Its just a plain 580, no letter after that. Hows the cab floor? Some of them rust out really bad and the floor holds up the rest of the cab. The brakes were a problem with them, the steering shouldn't be much of a problem. So it depends on what your going to do with it or how much your going to use it.

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Lapeerl I was going to use it here and there...nothing like daily use durring the summer.

Winter Stack snow maybe put a pusher box on it ??