1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5500 4x2 how much balast?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bobcatuser, Dec 4, 2010.

1. bobcatuser

bobcatuser Junior Member

I'm mounting a Snowdogg xp810 on a Chevrolet 5500 4x2 short wheel base truck. My question is how much ballast is this truck going to need if I use concrete lock blocks mounted to the 5th wheel hitch, directly over the Axel (the truck is setup as a single axle tractor).

The truck scales at front 5500 lbs. Rear 4750 lbs. The plow with mounts will add around 1200 lbs. I'm thinking around 3000 lbs ballast should be OK. Anyone have a similar setup, how muck ballast would you use?

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Doing the math: assuming your truck is the 128" wheelbase, it will take 2,100 pounds to maintain your current center of gravity. The NHTSA regulates how far your center of gravity can vary, so you want to keep it as close as possible (to where it was before) when you add things like plows. Your front end will be right around 7,300 pounds even with the ballast, because it's directly on top of the rear axle and not behind it. If you were to add 3,000 pounds of ballast, your FAW stays the same, but the rear goes to 7,150.

3. bobcatuser

bobcatuser Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I need a way to mount the 2100 pounds behind the axle to gain traction on the drive tires. This truck is too light on the back when not towing.

How much difference would it make to move the 2100 pounds 2' back past the center of the axle?

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

2,100 pounds, 2 feet to the rear of the axle puts you at 6,900 pounds on the front and 6,650 pounds on the rear axle.