1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

550 Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JD PLOWER, Jul 8, 2003.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Well the truck has been great, but I have some questions about some things maybe some of you could help me with.

First, is it normal to receive an "extra rim" with the truck. A guy I know told me that you should have received a rim with the truck. But it doesn't say anything in the paperwork about that and I didn't get one?

Second, I am thinking about getting a factory (used) stereo/cd but is the wiring already in the dash for this? It has just the regular radio (no cassette).

And anyone with an xl might be able to answer this. My truck came with one storage tray behind the seat but it has the hooks for two, am I owed one (again the paperwork doesn't mention this)?

BTW the wheel sims look great :D
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe i can help..a little:p ,when i build custom dump bodies,the customer brings me his cab+chassis(usually new),every Ford i have ever done had a spare tire/rim strapped to the top of the chassis.

I was thinking about the tray question because i rip them out to mount the electric/hydraulic pump behind the seat and i just can't remember.Good luck with the truck:waving:
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am not 100% sure but I think you only get the rim with the spare tire and wheel. When I oreder trucks above the size of a pick up, i don't bother with a spare. Do you really want to change a tire on something that size, if it goes flat. If the truck is loaded do you think the ford jack will lift it? Probably not.

If it allready has a radio in the truck the wiring is there. If there isn't a radio, I am 99.9% the wiring is still in the dash anyways.

Storage tray, hmmm not sure.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have seen some with and with out wheels and rims.One way to see if it come with it is go to fords web site and go to the build a truck page.The Radio if i was to get a cd for it just get a good aftermarket one they will be cheaper and most likely better than a stock truck cd.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

On the Cab & Chassis, the spare tire/wheel is optional at extra cost. When you opt for it, it comes bolted to a rear crossmember.

Both my trucks are XLT, the tray behind the seat is about 3/4 the width of the floor, leaving a space behind the passenger seat. On the 550, this is occupied by the hydraulic jack, if I remember right, it's empty space on the 350.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pretty much any Ford radio will slide right in,and connect up no problem.The only ones that won't work are the older Ford units with Premium sound (they had an external amp),and the Mach 460 head units.

Wreckers and stereo shops should have a good selection of take out\used head units for cheap.Try to get a new take out unit if possible.
  7. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

When I was at the dealership getting service done on my truck I was walking around and every truck that did not have a bed on it had a spare strapped to the frame rails.
    If you do go with a aftermarket radio be sure to get the wiring adapter kit for your truck so you don't have to cut any factory wires. :( This is also good if you ever want to throw the factory unit back in.
    Tray? Don't know