1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$55 ? Really?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Oct 30, 2014.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

So I'm doing some work for a local Hotel and I ask them if they'd like to talk about snow removal. They seemed very interested as they were looking for a new company. This is a 5 year old Hotel and has islands and concrete curbs making it more fun to plow. It's a 1.25 acre lot. I asked a bunch of questions and then flat out asked what they were paying. Plowing price for 1.25 acres for a grand total of $55. I said do you mean $155 ? They looked at each other and said no, $55. At this point, I look around for hidden cameras to see if I'm on some sort of shock reality show. I said so why are you looking for a new plow guy? They said he put so much rock salt and anti skid down that it was like walking on a stone road. I then asked how much were they being charged for salting? I figured this is where the price would make up for the low plow price. They said they were being charged $50 to salt. But they were putting so much down, that they were killing the shrubbery. Then they said the running joke was they knew when the plow guy was there because they would smell the exhaust fumes from the bad trucks they used. Then they would look out to watch them and could literally see ''through'' the truck with all the body damage. I said well that's your fault, because he was paying you guys to do the work instead of the other way around. I said I don't say this very often, but if this were my place, I'd keep the $55 plow guy and tell him to ease up on the salt, because those prices are crazy low and you'll never find a better deal then that. I'm still not sure if they were fudging those numbers (trying to get a better deal) or if someone is seriously plowing for those prices.
  2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yup, those prices are crazy. These bozos are getting cheaper and cheaper. I can only imagine that p.o.s truck.
  3. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Wow! It's amazing how cheap some people will price things. It makes it hard for the rest of us. I wonder what they would think if you wanted to get a hotel room for say $5.00?
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I understand the 50 year old truck issue there.. haha... but wouldn't this situation be a possible case where he works for someone else, and is getting paid $20 an hour to plow then goes and does one of his "own" accounts for a quick $50 at the end of his shift?

guys do it with lawn/management companies actually all too often and eventually get caught.

4-5 years ago, in a development, we steadily kept losing lawn accounts somehow, $35-45 accounts. The next spring, 50%, of the customers, which was only about 5-6 of them, suddenly didn't want their lawn serviced that year in the spring. I noticed that MOON site management guys that cut there once a week for the HOA's common areas, zipping all over the place... even at 10am-noon when they were usually always gone , mowing between 8am-10am.... I realized they're charging my old customers $20 in cash to cut their lawns, with another companies machines/insurance , they're already there and they're paid hourly as employees!

One call ended all that mess. I never took those accounts back either, pissed off some of the home owners but oh well, we can't play games like that.

The management company is a bunch of miserable fools anyway, not sure how they're even still in business. They're very close to MERIT in NJ but actually a small competitor to them.

The whole $50 for salt and salting way too much doesn't make any sense unless he never had to pay for the salt right?
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We did a bid last year for a local hotel and the bid was so low it was impossible to believe. Not a hard lot to plow but 3 sides....front was 2 parking lanes and the main drive, sides were main isles and a single row of parking spots all about 300 feet long. He was (Im guessing still is at this price) 30.00 to plow and 40.00 to salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy or company that does it has older Chevy's and the trucks look like they are going to bend in half because the beds are bent or collapsing into the cabs, all rusted out and he uses 1 ancient Myers tailgate type spreader. I told the guy keep him but when he breaks down or breaks in half or is out of business be sure your sitting down when you get prices from companies that do it professionally. We were the snowiest city in America last year and I bet he got plowed 20 times if he's lucky,lol
  6. 160SR

160SR Junior Member
    from nh

How come potential accounts always seem to know if a price is too high, but are totally clueless when a price is too low?
  7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Somewhere along the line image has to come in to play. I wouldn't hire some p.o.s. truck with a ancient salter, rusted all to hell where you can see through, with a set of headers blaring loud lol
  8. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Ah the unexplained laws of nature :dizzy:
  9. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like Birdseedd ;)
  10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

11. xgiovannix12

what did I say wrong? I wonder if that hotel has a Big ass leaning flag pole
  12. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I about spit ice cream all over the monitor! :laughing:
  13. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Here comes delete.❄
  14. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

I had a lady get mad at me this week because I wouldn't price-match the moron who was plowing her driveway last year, at $8 per time. Peoples is crazy.
  15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Where's the guy that did it last year for $8 at?
  16. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

We kinda shoved him out of that area.
  17. xgiovannix12

8 bucks? thats sad sadly there is a lot of guys doing this all over.
  18. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Do you have his number? He would be a great sub.
  19. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am headed over there now. I got the job. I bid it at $7.00 including drive time and salt from the East Coast
  20. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Is that a lowes lot you are plowing in your avatar?