1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

55 inches in Fulton, NY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smokin4by, Jan 6, 2010.

1. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

seen this story about 55" so far this season in Fulton NY. just wondering who is there on the job??

http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r610=1262793937

heres the story...wonder what ever happend to global warming???
    :yow!:

2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

global warming is the reason that greenlands temp is rising and crating a high pressure up there that is creating more volatility in the seasons and why we are getting more snow.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Hey....It's not "Global Warming" when only the Northern Hemisphere is warming, and the Tropics and Southern Hemisphere are cooling....Now is it.

4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

I bet they don't have time to check plowsite. their too busy ussmileyflag

5. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

:waving:
    good point !!! i'm just bored today doing some research and going stir crazy waiting for our storm tomorrow. just wishing we'd got 55 inches this season then i would not be checking this every hour:bluebounc

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would be thrilled to get 55 inches for an entire season, let alone by January.

7. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Theres a lot of places just north of them in the tug hill that get way more snow then they do, pulaski and mexico new york for example... im just north of buffalo and i think were almost at 50 inches for the season which is just a few inches above average

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I am 7 miles away (north) from Fulton NY near the Lake Ontario shoreline/Rt 104
    and we have MORE snow than them! Its been BLASTING since last Friday
    and ain't stopped yet!
    Even made the ABC natl. news:
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/abc_features_fulton_where_hard.html
    And the local:
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/abc_features_fulton_where_hard.html

Note that this is the SAME town that had its DPW barn collapse because of too
    much snow on the roof last year with all the trucks INSIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!

True......The Oswego/Tug hill area (15 miles away northeast)) gets even more than
    us but the Lake Effect snow gods have directed the majority more south
    of the lake and is dumping it on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure am glad I bid by the push! Anybody out this way who bid seasonal 1 price
    is nutz cuz we get at least 175 inches per year!
    Better off working for USM/wally world if you bid seasonal around these parts!
    ................LOL!...........Just kiddin'!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

thats Lake Ontario for you lake effect. if the lake wasnt there NY wouldnt have as much as snow it gets :(

10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

global warming

Growing up in Pulaski it was nothing to get 5' over night. The snow we get now is nothing like we used to. However, the last couple of years have been better than the several previous. It's called climate change and the earth goes through it as a natural cycle. Global warming is a farce and a way to eventually tax you for your "carbon imprint"!

I currently live in Pulaski and work in Fulton and we have gotten plenty of snow the last several days. Still, however, nothing extraordinary for the area so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

sonjaab, you live in the New Haven/ Scriba area?

11. sonjaab

New.............I live in Hannibal and I have a place in Alex Bay too.
    Is so funny that Alex Bay gets barely a dusting as they are on the river and
    all the snow lands south to the Watertown/Pulaski area.

We get mostly lake effect blowing south off lake Ontario here and Fulton............

12. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I wish I was back there right now. Though we've had decent lake effect over the past week out here in Buffalo too. It still amuses me that people kept warning me about all the snow Buffalo gets when I moved here, I was like do you know where I'm from? lol

13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

All depends what you bid per season. They get a ton of snow there (lived there for over 20 years), but it's generally consistent amounts. As long as you bid accordingly, you should be alright.

14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Ha Ha Global Warming, yet summers are colder. Funny how that works. First it was global bs, now its climate change. Everyone new the warming bs was a joke so they change the name. What happens when the mini ice age comes, Global cooling ? Time to feed Al more Beans. So he can keep blowing holes in the ozone with the bs coming out of his ass, and his entourage of Leer Jets and Escalades.

"Yooper" up in Houghton Hancock in the U.P. said they were over 200" begining of Jan.

15. sonjaab

LUMPS...............Yea right bid seasonal.............LOL!
    Every knucklehead/wahoo around here has a truck and a blade and will plow for beer money!

My trick is I OWN the lots and LEASE them to the local bank. I also provide all snow removal
    and lawn service at my price on THEIR dime! They have NO choice but to
    pay what i want. If they don't like it they can BUY me out ! They are landlocked and screwed!

It took 4 years and several lawyers/many surveys to prove me right and them azzholes pay me
    dearly now!
    Their Lease is up this year and they want my property for a new bank building and I'm
    ready to sell.

I can see a nice $pendy fishin' pole in my future!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  16. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

The Little Ice Age was from 1300ce-1850ce roughly, and prior to that we had Middle Aged Warm period. What people tend to believe is that Global Warming is a process where the climate will be suddenly always warmer. No, that is not exactly correct, because first what happens is a radical shift in climate patterning. For example you'll see longer flooding seasons in certain regions, or more snow in some areas as cold air interacts with warmer bodies of water. Finally, one possible outcome is in fact global cooling, after the ice-caps melt the water will be denser in certain regions since ice-flow is fresh water and the oceans are salt water. This will cause Gulf Stream to stop, once this stops the northern part of Europe will find it self in a deep freeze.

If you want to see global warming in action you can very easily: take a soda bottle fill it up with CO2 and use as a control bottle one with regular air. Place them both in the sun and you'll see that in 12 hrs that the bottle with pure CO2 will have much higher temperature than it's control sample. That soda bottle is a lot like Earth it is essentially a closed system, so if you add more CO2 and remove the ability to filter this out you get a greenhouse effect. Of course many talk about Venus, and it's run away greenhouse effect is really interesting but unknown in many critical areas. For one thing Venus doesn't have enough CO2 to be as hot as it is; and two we have no understanding of the internal thermodynamics of the planet for the most part so we cannot really say why it is so hot. We know that the CO2 in the atmosphere and the proximity to the sun is the reason why the planet started to warm up unlike say Mars which has similar CO2 amounts but lacks the temperature, it appears that something else is driving the runaway greenhouse effect.

Anyway you put it deforestation, increases in CO2 and other Greenhouse gases, and reduction of polar caps means trouble for our planet. The problem is no one wants to actually say "I want to change". Al Gore is not leading by example but is evidence is strong. You cannot fault his evidence because he doesn't follow it. Your doctor might be over weight and a smoker but he's right when says that those will kill... the fact he doesn't follow his own advice just means he is self destructive.

17. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i'm not in fulton, but im in hamlin located along Ontario and since Sat morning, 1 a.m. we've been at the local grocery store plowing for over 60 hours and still have a loader cleaning isles and moving banks as i post this.