1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

55 Acre trucking distribution center

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

They wanted a time and materials quote for the de-icing of the grounds. Lot is loaded with trucks but the move in and out a lot and will be crucial to salt all of it eventually after storms, including a lot of patch work after bigger storms once trailers move. I was estimating 1000lbs of bulk salt per acre.

We put down less than that most times, but didn't want to get into bidding it at only 1/4 ton per acre and it being way too low. We bill $200 per ton applied on most accounts, even ones half this size on average but with so many tons needed, could we still get the same rate?

Even at half a ton rate, i can NEVER see putting down 27 tons on this property... I mean its huge, 2m sq ft total, but i'd have to fill our 4 or 4 1/2 yard bulk spreaders probably 4 times or 5 even, to spread that much salt.

Knowing how much salt 4-5 yards is in the hopper, a light application i think i could do the whole place with one load and 2 loads normal or needing more...

Both spreaders with salt flowing out at max rate would still take us 15-20 minutes minimum to unload the whole hopper full, and i think we could drive the truck around and spread the salt in about 20-30 minutes.

Am i off here?
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Base it upon 800lbd per acre and give a bulk discount say $165 per ton
    It will tie up trucks from other places and your gonna make several trips to do whole lot because trucks being parked
    Salt will be same price you are just saving traveling time
    I always feel I try to hard to give what people think is a fair price and it bites me in the end
    You know your numbers throw your number out and sell yourself don't be too cheap but you know all this already
    Good luck
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm confused, you already do a lot of snow and your asking us how much salt to use per trip per acre in your region. Sorry just talking to myself out loud.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

How ever much time you think it will take, double it. I do a 35 acre site, also a distribution trucking yard, and I can't tell you how many times I have to stop and wait on trucks pulling out, or backing in to drop a trailer. It always takes more time than you think. Also if it is a JB Hunt lot, the drivers are huge babies, and think that everything has to be bare pavement for them to get in or out of.
  5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

20-30 mins and 4.5 yards to do 55 acres. Man, sounds like you got this place figured out. What could possibly go wrong here?

Need ferandino to bid it for you?
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Id be worried about getting that much more salt this year, 27 tons per application, ok just round down to a tri axle load per application, say 22-23 tons. 15 applications a year, plus all your other stuff, yikes.

I'd charge $200 a ton x 25 tons per app
  7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Must have a "Cummings" in that salt truck to get it done in that amount of time
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see this thread ending well.

Nor do I see any way you're going to salt 55 acres with 4.5 yards of salt. That's under 200lbs per acre. We put more than that down for a presalt.

And if it's time and materials, what is there to quote? Not like it matters what you quote, they pay for actual time and actual materials used.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

This part was missed a few times

'Even at half a ton rate, i can NEVER see putting down 27 tons on this property... I mean its huge, 2m sq ft total, but i'd have to fill our 4 or 4 1/2 yard bulk spreaders probably 4 times or 5 even, to spread that much salt."
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see 27 tons either, but 8-10 tons ain't going to cut it either.
  12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We did a mall that was the same size and would use typically 16 tons. Some areas were a tad lighter on the outer areas and would take a couple hours to be black top other areas were black and wet within 20 mins.id bid that at 20 tons per app.
  13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

So, this is how the story ends?