1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

54 hours straight in my truck plowing!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by YPLLLC, Feb 1, 2009.

1. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Finally have caught up on sleep and got a chance to get back on plowsite. We finally had our first snow in St. Louis and it was a good one(for us) I was in my truck for 54 hours, and only got a 2 hours nap in a parking lot while we got some light snow. Everytime I thought I was finished my phone would go crazy and i would pick up another 20 jobs. This went on forever!!!! I was running my plow truck and 2 hand shovel crews. This was my companies first actual snow event and it was awesome. Just wanted to talk a bit!!!!

2. Your nuts. Your talking almost 3 days in that truck. Your not only putting your own life in danger but everyone else on the road with you as well. You potentially could kill innocent people and destroy families. Cut some of your work down or hire help.

3. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

I had one of my guys drive part of it, and I did have a few breaks at the shop. But it wasnt to bad

4. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

dammmmmn :eek: i must admit i :salute: u but i can't pull myself to do that too dangerous

5. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Ya everytime I was ready to stop, I got a bunch more calls and since we dont get many snows in St. Louis, I wanted to do everyone I possibly could. I know looking at it, it seems really dangerous, but believe it or not i was alert the whole time, everytime I would get tired i stopped and grabbed another soda and the walking in the store worked for me, i was alert the whole time. Plus I think it helped i was super excited because it was the first time I got to use the truck and plow for snow!!!

6. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Not worth losing your license over, but I think at one time or another we have all been there. I dont know how any customer would tolerate that when my phone rings 30 minutes after it stops snowing. The only advice I can give is not to overwork yourself. The first guy I worked for would have about 100 driveways per truck. On a moderate snow he would take 3 days to get it all cleared. Every year he would lose a lot of clients and have to replace them next year. When his trucks broke it was a real problem. Imagine plowing 30 driveways only being able to turn left and a 1/4 turn right after youve been awake for 40 hours.

7. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I had to do that once when we had some equipment failure during a large storm, 18". I went until I was falling asleep hitting piles. Had to go home. Never again.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Crazy but I have been there. I would take naps in truck tho I can't say i would be actually plowing the whole time. :dizzy:

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

worst part is napping in the truck

10. outsidepride

outsidepride Junior Member

107 hours one week during a 1999 3 ft snow storm never again! Even the two other guys had 99 hours for the week each!payup

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I once did 55 hours!!

j/k

I've got a friend who has to "one up" everyone's accomplishments. If you did 100 pushups, then he did 110, if you paid $5000 for a plow, he paid $4900, if you drank 18 beers in 8 hours, he drank 20 in 7 hours, and on and on. I always think of him when someone talks about pushing the limits on anything, cause I know a guy who has done at least "one better". :)

12. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

WOW, thats some crazy long hours. I bet you made some serious $$$$$ though. ;)

13. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

billed out a little under 9K, that was running one plow truck and 2 hand shoveler trucks

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Unless the Days in Canada have less hours in then 54 hours is only a liitle over 2 days LOL

54 hours isnt that much if you got a hour or two of sleep here or there

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

But you aren't driving a dodge.:D

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's not that long of time for plowing .It's only 2 tankfuls of gas.

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Who are you guys kidding? That's a long time to go with an two hour nap, and if he was using something other than a Dodge, it probably would have taken twice as long.

Longest I have plowed straight with no breaks is 17 hours. That was plenty.

18. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta be doing the 30 + hour shifts.

19. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

thats pretty good money

we do 17 hours EVERY storm, on our last 15 cm storm we ended up doing 32 hours straight

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  20. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it looked like you guys got pounded over there...it missed us by a mile....how much snow did you end up getting? 12"? thats a lot of hours...we went 30 hrs a couple of times during 20" events i think you did the right thing for your biz, thats probably the snow of the decade for STL