1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

50lbs of rock salt bags

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cecilmac, Jan 13, 2010.

1. cecilmac

cecilmac Member
    from nj

What are u guys charging ur customers to supply and install 50lbs of RS, per bag price???
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Where do you install them?
  3. cecilmac

cecilmac Member
    from nj

IN JERSEY,waht are u guys getting in IOWA
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It depends on what you install them on.
  5. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

LOL...also depends on elevation of installation!! :laughing::laughing:
  6. cecilmac

cecilmac Member
    from nj

parking lots, asphalt r u serious?
  7. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

prices are all over the map for salt depending on the area you are in. Around here i have seen ridiculously low prices at $100 / ton and as high as $190 / ton.
    do the math to figure out your bagged rate.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem is you don't install salt, being either bulk or bagged. You spread it.
  9. cecilmac

cecilmac Member
    from nj

Well the salt around here dosent spread by itself so let me know where u buy it and ill place an order therefore u install it.
  10. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

11. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

typically if you can double your cost or 2.5 times your cost, so say you pay $5.00 you should try to get at least $10-15 per bag spread, now you can adjust your prices as to the use required.

I have a customer that I use 1-1.5 bags and get $40.00 so that equals anywhere between .80 to 53 cents per pound spread.

Hope this helps !!!
  12. Snowpusher78

Snowpusher78 Junior Member

I charge like doo-man does if you are paying $5 a bag try to get 10 to 12 a bag to spread it or more that way if the price flutuates at all depending on where you are buying from you can absorb that throughout winter instead of changing prices all winter long.
  13. timtpa

timtpa Member

Same here. If I pay $5.00 for it I will get $10.00-$15.00 and that price includes installation!:dizzy::confused::dizzy::confused:
  14. firemt036

firemt036 Junior Member

I use roadrunner not rock salt or prestone... road runner is 1.00 more than the rock salt but seems to penetrate better for the day after scrape @ 7.97 per bag 40lbs not 50 like the rock i get 20 per bag with walk behind spreader dont have to salt convenience stores and the fire stations just in front of the garages but going fully commercial next season so ill have to figure out price with assumed next years increase morton jackin it up

im buying at $5.70per 50lbs....... charging $20 per bag (50lbs) out the hopper spread:nod:
  16. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Not to beat a dead dog but I pay 3.90 Diamond Crystal rock salt, mine works out to about $20-$25 a bag applied...
  17. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

.45 lb. after push
    .45 lb + 45.oo trip charge

18. procut

procut Senior Member

If you guys are actually getting $25.00/bag "installed" I should say to heck with bulk, get my hands on some bagged rock salt and get out my Scott's fertilizer spreader.
  19. CMU07

CMU07 Member

What people are getting at is very simple. After you purchase the bag(s) of salt, you transport them to the customer's location and SPREAD them not INSTALL them. Everyone knows what you mean, but are giving you a hard time.
  20. CMU07

CMU07 Member

ohh and sorry for the double post but i get $15/bag