1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$50k + just to plow snow! Insane

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Jan 6, 2010.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was just about to buy a 2008 Ford F-250 fully loaded for $37,000 used...but being an FX4 they apparantly don't come with heated leather, so thats another $600.00 to get the front seat heaters put in! Then I would have about $3000.00 in sales tax after bringing it in to Minnesota, plus another $6000.00 to put a plow on it!

$46,000 for a truck and plow...hmm I am thinking that is crazy! Especially when we always take my wifes Explorer if we go anywhere, so it would be just a work/estimating/plow truck!
    I can spend ALOT less and get a good truck to do the same thing!

Am I looking at this wrong? Any input or opinions are welcome

2. exmark1

I would be selling my 2004 Dodge 2500 Hemi and oldest Hiniker V-Plow if I bought the new truck...But total value of that rig is about $10,000
  3. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

$46k for a 2yr old truck and a new plow seems outrageous, especially since you think you will only get 10k for a 6yr old truck and an old plow set up. The difference of 36k is a lotpayup

It depends if you have enough accounts to offset the newer purchase. My belief is that if seasonal cost of the truck, maintenance, gas, plow etc is less than 50% of what you'lll bring in, go for it. If not stick with the Dodge

This is my .02 as I have a $2500 plow and truck set up and will drive it into the ground (hopefully not this season)
  4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I understand the reason for the nice trucks and it'd be great to have one, but I usually laugh at the people spending that much on a truck. I'd drive either of my plow trucks anywhere at any time, would rely on either of them for any outing and am comfortable in them every time with less than $16k invested. I also own them both and drive a little 4cyl car most of the time. I'll bet that Dodge is perfectly good for a few more years, especially considering the hit you'll take after a couple years with the Ford. I have made a ton of money using cheap trucks and I've done it by keeping my overhead extremely low. Just the fact that you're looking at a $50k truck makes me think that you're doing just fine, but I have to agree: $50k for a plow truck (pickup) is too much.
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Heated seats are not worth it in my mind....I shut it off after a min.......My ass warms the seat up almost as quick.
  6. exmark1

The 2008 is a loaded FX4 with 30,000 miles on it, and I would be buying a brand new plow for it. It is also a Diesel, crew cab

My 2004 is a Hemi with 125000 miles on it and is a regular cab with a 4 year old plow

I would be upgrading my personal plow truck which is a loaded 2003 Dodge quad cab diesel with 98,000 miles and selling the 2004 Hemi which in my mind is underpowered for heavy wet snow.

Right now my gut is telling me maybe buy a decent used diesel truck for 15000-20000 instead or just keep the 2004 Hemi and run it til it dies or starts giving us problems, mechanically it is a great truck just not ideal in my mind!
  7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Whats wrong with the 03? Sell the Hemi and pull double duty on the Cummins, it will like it.
  8. exmark1

The 03 is already my personal plow truck daily driver, so I if I sold the Hemi I would have to buy another truck to replace it in the fleet.
    We have 5 trucks and plows
    2004 Dodge 2500 Hemi Hiniker V-Plow 125k
    2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel Hiniker V-Plow 98 k
    2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel Hiniker V-Plow 141 k
    2000 Ford F-250 Diesel Hiniker V-Plow 122 k
    1994 Chevy 2500 5.7 Gas Western Straight 204 k

The 1994 is a backup truck that is rarely used anymore.

At this point I was ready to buy the new Ford but after I put a pencil to it and added up ALL the costs involved I basically talked myself out of it due to the high price tag involved in doing it! The 2004 Dodge is paid for...

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

We all know the punishment the plow trucks take so why buy a newer grade A truck. There are so many options out there these days. Have you ever looked at a newer truck with a rebuilt title. You can buy them with a salvage title for 20% of the cost of clean. Spend a few bucks and refurbish it and vola a 08 plow truck which cost you 15-20k. Sure the title might be salvage but does your customer know that ??? No, they see a newer reliable truck which justifies the high cost of plowing there lot!!

You might have to search for some time and look for a lightly damaged truck. Repos and or theft and recoverys are also a great source for a great deal!!! Stick with the Dodges for you can intercange mounts and plow stuff from truck to truck. NTM Cummins.................
  10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Find used. There are plenty of lightly used trucks, especially crew cab with heated leather trucks. And other than hauling kids or a boat they normally have never been worked. Let someone else take that hit of depreciation. If your going to make it a plow truck it doesn't make sense to buy a BRAND new truck, get a certified one with 15k or less miles.
  11. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

If you look around you could find a new truck for almost the same price as a used truck with 15K. I buy new because I know the history and I have warranty. I would never buy one of my used plow truck because I know what they have been thru.
  12. exmark1

The 08 ford I am looking for is a low miled driver that has hardly pulled more then a horse trailer on occasions.
    Ideally I would like a 6.7 Cummins with leather etc... but can't seem to find one
  13. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I too would not spend that kind of money to do plow work. as stated before you can accomplish the same task with a lesser cost.
    Now as far as being insane, I can tell you from just being me that we both think insane is fun.
  14. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

why spend 46K on a truck that your going to beat the hell out of plowing with it. Its not worth it any more, half the trucks they sell now a days dont even last 3 years just as a personal truck, now throw a plow on it.
  15. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I've never sat in my truck and thought "boy my a$$ is cold," my ears maybe but then I put the window up and they get warm too. Will this truck just be used to plow snow? If yes, I'd buy used. But I bet you'd use it year round. You can probably finance a new truck for about the same payment as a used one because you'll get a lower interest rate. Then you'll have a warrenty and a brand new truck to tear up in the winter. Just my thoughts.
  16. procut

procut Senior Member

I've been kicking around the idea of new truck in a year or two, but once you start running the numbers it's like holy $^&*!. Your correct, I came up with about 50k, too, which I thought was ridiculous.

It's nice to have them new, but buying used is defiantly a good way to go if you can find the right deal. I have learned that running old junck is just asking for problems, so defiantly stick to late models, basically find as new as you can, but "pre-owned."

For example one of the trucks I have now, is an '06 Chevy which I bought in January of '08. When I got it, it was in near perfect shape, 18,000 miles and the interior still smelled new. The window sticker was in the glove box, and was $33,000 and change. The best part was it had a recently installed Western Ulta-Mount, I don't think it had hardly been used, I mean the pain on the cutting edge was barely scratched. I know this plow would go for about $4700 at the dealer. So, if I had purchased these two separately, new, it would have been roughly 38k. This was a bank repo truck, all said and done, I got it was the plow, tax, title, license, ect for a little over 21k. A savings of almost half. Now deals like this don't necessarily come around every day, but if you watch for them, it can be an incredible cost savings.
  17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Check this I see lot 2000-2009 that have minor damage.

$50k for that truck is crazy we could get xlt crew cab with v10 for $35,000
  18. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Go used. Putting a brand new truck to work snowplowing is just nuts to me. I hated throwing a plow on my 2002 F350 because it was in such good condition. IMO it's only a matter of time before something dings, dents or scratches the truck (if your lucky!). Not to mention the depreciation vehicles have. Buy a $50K truck this year to plow and it's worth about $30K next year and less as the years go on. Get an 02' or so and the values start to hold much better for a better ROI.
  19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

There is no rate difference between a new 2009 or a used 2009. There is a very small difference between a 2007 used and a new 2009. If you buy one at a dealer you get a certified warranty which is longer than the new vehicle warranty. The trick is trying to find the right truck and get a good enuff deal to buy from a dealer. But the rate will be the same no matter where you get your loan.
  20. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id keep what you got, its paid for and even if you have to throw a few hundred bucks a month for parts to keep it going who cares. i dont see how its underpowered i always run out of traction before power.